Sharm El Sheikh Travel Answers

change location
katmarcoux's Profile Photo

safe waters for children-->sharks

by katmarcoux Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM

I am going to sharm in 10 days (march 21st, 2013)
I really want to go snorkelling, but am worried about bringing the children (8, 11 -both tiny sized girls for their ages, and a teen 17). I do understand that though attacks from sharks are rather rare and perhaps the least 'risky' of events considering so many other areas for concern over there, but none the less, I would like to hear from anyone who has been there (specifically rehana bay if possible -the radisson resort is there). In your travels, how often if at all have you spotted sharks; were they near the reef or in open water. Any ideas on how to keep the kiddies the safest while snorkelling -ie: hold hands or ....? I cannot fathom going to the red sea again and NOT snorkelling (last time I went it was to do my padi cert dives but discovered an ear issue which prevents me from diving- very sad that was... :) ) Do you know what/if any safe guards are in place to protect tourists from -negative- shark encounters?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • gmg61's Profile Photo

Re: safe waters for children-->sharks

by gmg61 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM

If you stay in Naama Bay and just snorkel in that area there won't be any danger.
    Too shallow bottom for the sharks but eough for snorkeling.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gmg61's Profile Photo

by gmg61 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I have been there couple of times and never spotted sharks close to the shore.
    Actually, I didn't see many sharks at all in the whole area.

1 member found this helpful

• concord331's Profile Photo

by concord331 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Hello,
    The best idea that you can keep children staying in hotel till you will finish your best and favorite hobbies "Snorkeling"

• katmarcoux's Profile Photo

by katmarcoux Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

gmg61 wrote:
    If you stay in Naama Bay and just snorkel in that area there won't be any danger. Too shallow bottom for the sharks but eough for snorkeling.

We will be in rahana bay.  Hopefully same applies.  There is a jetty to the sea and wondering if the kids could snorkel at the reef there safely.

• mr.small's Profile Photo

by mr.small Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM

What is "snorkelling safely"?The sharks are always there,always have been,the chances of seeing one even if you are trying to find them is remote,we are simply just not on their food radar,shark attacks on humans are a case of mistaken identity,they never eat us,just take a bite and realise that we are not what they eat.During all of the diving and snorkelling I have done around Sharm I have seen sharks 3 times and they have all been going in the opposite direction,they are just not interested in us and to have any trouble from one would be extremely unlikely.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Sharm El Sheikh