Shanxi Sheng

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• New Bullet Train

Pingyao Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I'm having trouble finding information about two aspects of the new bullet train between Xi'an - Pingyao and Pingyao - Beijing.
      1. The link below says that it is now operational as of July 1. Can someone verify this? I thought I had read somewhere that its opening might be delayed until September...
      chinahighlights.com/news/aro...

2. Travel China Guide's online train ticket booking service shows that this new route is now available. But, this site shows the station as "Pingyao Ancient Town" instead of just "Pingyao". Does anyone know where this new station is?

Thanks!

more

Popular Shanxi Sheng Travel Answer Locations

• Heng shan before zhang jiajie worth?

Heng Shan Apr 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Hi, I've never been to hunan, china yet. So I don't know what to expect there, except mountains and the old town. I will definitely visit zhangjiajie with my friends, however, as I have more free time. I was thinking to visit hengshan beforehand. Does it worth doing? I mean like will they be quite similar? (Of course, I do agree different mountain got different things to see. In addition, as I'll be travelling alone, considering I am a girl, will it be safe? I do speak a little bit chinese. If you have been to hengshan, would you please suggest me how to spend 2 days in hengshan. Thank you very much.

1 Answer Apr 29, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    • TAIYUAN to PINGYAO at night??

Pingyao Jun 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

How can i go from taiyuan to pingyao at night?. the train tickets are sold... taxi? how much does it cost?
      Thank you very much!!

10 Answers Jun 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    • bus schedule to Taihuai

Taihuai Mar 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

How do I get from the hanging monastery to Taihuai? Are there differences in transportation schedules on Sundays?

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Pingyao to Xian

Pingyao Aug 20, 2011 at 3:25 AM

I am planning a trip to China mid Oct. I worry I might have problem to get sleeper train ticket from Pingyao to Xian. I will take a train from Beijing to Datong. From Datong to Taiyuan, then Taiyuan to Pingyao. I could either take train from Taiyuan to Xian or Pingyao to Xian(better).

1)Can I buy the train ticket in Beijing or Datong Train Station in advance?
      or
      2)Can I buy train ticket in Taiyuan Train Station for the Pingyao-->Xian route?

2 Answers Aug 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Getting from Taiyuan Wusu Airport to Pingyao Old City

Taiyuan Jun 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

We will be flying into Taiyuan in the late afternoon around 5pm and need to go to Pingyao Old City to get to our hotel. Is it easy enough to hire a taxi to go that distance from the airport or will be need to take the train? I'd rather not do the train in case all the afternoon trains are already booked by the time we get there. We are 2 older ladies and waiting around isn't a joyous option for us.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

Mt Mianshan aka Cotton Mountain

Shanxi Sheng May 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Ok so a co-worker forwarded a nifty powerpoint show to me via email showing a most ancient but ethereal city built into the walls of a mountain. After some researching, I found the name Mt Mianshan or Cotton Mountain, located not too far from Taiyuan in Shanxi Province. So now, I did some more research but cannot come up with more info on this place (and nothin on VT, can you believe it?). How to get there? Are there accomodations in the wall-built city? The powerpoint show also showed a nifty waterfall area with a dinosaur at the top of the falls (??) and the most coolest steps through the gorge, driven into the sides of the gorge and you have to hang on to a chain link fence to go further. Have you been there?? How can I get more info on getting into it, staying there, exploring the waterfall gorge, and returning (alive, but happy!)? Thanks!

3 Answers Aug 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    • Tian Yuan Kui Hostel how do I book a room?

Pingyao Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM

I have googled and searched everywhere trying to find out how I can book a room at the Tian Yuan Kui Hostel? Any help appreciated.

5 Answers Apr 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    • matjung's Profile Photo

From Shanghai to Pingyao

Pingyao Apr 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Hi,
      I am going to visit some heritage sites in China.
      One of them is Pingyao.

Is there an airport near this place, or how would you travel from Shanghai to Pingyao?

Also I am curious to find out for travel connections between Pingyao and Luoyang?

4 Answers Apr 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    • Pingyao to Datong

Pingyao Apr 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Plan to visit Pingyao from Xian and will prefer night train and then fron Pingyao to Datong.. Is there any train service from Xian to Pingyao to Datong?and is it air conditioned? Where can i get the tickets?

15 Answers Apr 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    • andsands's Profile Photo

Local Guide/Driver Taiyuan to Pingyao return

Pingyao Jan 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Hi,

We are currently putting together our itinerary and organising our trip for April 2010. We would like to find out if anyone knows of a local guide/driver to go from Taiyuan to Pingyao. If so, how much roughly does it cost and is it possible to do a return trip from Taiyuan to Pingyao return in one day and have enough time to see the sights in Pingyao?

Thanks.

2 Answers Sep 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    • nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Changzhi Shanxi

Changzhi Sep 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Wow! Nobody ever has heard of this city! But it looks very nice on a map of Shanxi, that I have recently seen.

Has anybody been to Changzhi yet?

I am probably going there in November

I wonder, whether I'll get any answers

Best regards
      Ulrike

2 Answers Sep 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Pingyao Wall

Pingyao Jun 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

In September, we are arriving in Pingyao around 10am by train and leaving the next morning (late morning). I am a scenic photographer and want to take photographs from on top of the Wall of the Wall (among other things to photograph). Can you walk the whole way around? If so, how long would it take? Where are the entrances to get up if we are staying at the Yide Hotel (northwest area)? We want to try for early morning or around sundown to get some nice, 'romantic/fantasy/misty' shots of the wall (similar to the ones seen in National Geographic etc). Where are the best places to shoot photos if I want to avoid powerlines, modern homes, people, signposts, etc etc? It sounds silly but I try to photograph my scenery without a lot of 'realism' in it...thanks!

3 Answers Apr 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    • Train travel to/from Pingyao

Pingyao Mar 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

In May I am planning to take the high speed (X19) train from Beijing to Xian. On the way back from Xian instead of doing the same, I am considering taking an overnight train to Pingyao and then the next night from Pingyao to Beijing.

Does anybody have experience with the Xian -> Pingyao and/or Pingyao->Beijing trains? Can you sleep in the compartments (soft sleeper) or is there too much noise from the train making so many stops.

Also, how hard is it to get tickets. I read somewhere that Pingyao is a small place and doesn't get a very large allotment of sleeper berths.

Thanks

1 Answer Mar 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    • yungang caves in datong vs longmen grottoes in luoyang

Datong Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Hi,

I am deciding between stopping over in datong or luoyang to see the caves on my way from beijing to xian.

Can anyone advise which is better to see ? What are the differences ? In terms of convenience from the train stations to get to the caves, which is easier as i am short of time on my itenary.

thanks

4 Answers Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16 AM
    • Taiyuan Clubs.. 'Kiss & Blood'

Taiyuan Nov 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Hi, pls tell me where are these clubs located in Taiyuan ? Kiss & Blood ? Is this around the same shopping place behind yingze hotel ?

• RusskiPower's Profile Photo

Wangjia dayuan (Wang's residence)

Shanxi Sheng Oct 24, 2007 at 8:55 AM

How does one get there per public transporation from Pingyao?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• RusskiPower's Profile Photo

digital photography in Pingyao

Pingyao Oct 24, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Where could I find a place in Pingyao where they would burn digital pictures from my Sony Cybershots to a CD please? I'm really stuck, no one seems to know.

2 Answers Dec 2, 2008 at 4:03 AM
    • visit to Datong from Beijing

Datong Jul 25, 2007 at 9:12 AM

We are planning a trip to Datong from Beijing - can anyone advise if there is nice scenery on the way if we take train in day time? Would we be able to buy soft sleepers on a day train from Beijing to Datong ? We thought of spending 1 nite in Datong and then taking the CITS tour for 1 day to Yungang grottoes and hanging monastery. Then to return to Beijing subsequently same day in evening - would there be long distance buses departing Datong to Beijing or would it be better to take soft sleepers on nite train but there would be problem what to do for whole nite in Datong while awaiting for train which leaves about 2300 hrs or so for Beijing. Planning to go Datong on Wed 26 Sept and returning Beijing on 27 Sept - travelling with 2 elderly folk in 70s. Any advice much appreciated

3 Answers Jul 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM
    • Datong -- is one day enough?

Datong Mar 26, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I'm thinking of arriving in Datong early morning from Beijing and leaving later that night to Xi'an. I don't really intend sticking around town for more than a day and I only plan to see the cave and the hanging monastery. I just have some questions about the logistics:
      (1) Can I book a cheap tour through CITS once I arrive in Datong? If so, how much?
      (2) Are there any storage lockers in the train station?
      (3) Are there any shower facilities at the train station?
      (4) I will be arriving in Datong on May 7, which is during the Golden Week. Will it be hard for me to book a sleeper ticket from Datong to Xi'an on this date?

6 Answers May 19, 2007 at 9:13 AM
    • journey to one of China civilization cradle......

Shanxi Sheng Mar 9, 2007 at 9:53 AM

I am planning visit Shanxi Province (West of Beijing, 284km)in May. I am looking for travel companion to visit the Buddhist wonder of the Yungang Grottoes, UNESCO World Heritage - Pingyao Ancient City,Xuankong Si (Hanging Temple,)Mt Hengshan & Yellow River's Kettle Spout waterfalls (Hukou Waterfalls).I live in HongKong and I am a budget traveler, speak fair Putonghua. I will start my journey from Beijing on 12May, and set off for DaTong first then heading down south. You may contact me by my VT email address or isabellawsw@yahoo.com.hk .

• Train tickets back to Beijing

Datong Jan 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM

I have checked with a few online travel companies in Beijing, only able to get Beijing-Datong train tickets.

How can I arrange for someone or travel agent in Datong to help get Datong - Beijing overnight sleepers?

Intend to visit Datong's Yungang Buddhist Caves and Hanging Monastary only.

Has any VTers gone with CITS day tour to these 2 places? How to book?

Thanks.

8 Answers Apr 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM
    • train trip from HK to Xiamen

Xiamen Oct 2, 2006 at 7:25 PM

Traveling to Hong kong in DEC and thinking of crossing to shengzhen and onto xiamen. Where, How and best way of traveling onto xiamen, thinking of train. Advice please.

3 Answers Oct 10, 2006 at 1:48 AM
    • Asking about Pingyao

Pingyao Sep 30, 2006 at 12:36 AM

Hi,
      I'm currently in Beijing feeling bored and have a plan visiting Pingyao during this mid autumn festival, I have several questions, hope some of you can help me
      1.How crowded is PIngyao during October holiday period ?is it a bad idea to visit during this time ?
      2.If I decide to visit Pingyao, does 1 one day is enough to explore most of the interesting landmarks in this city so I don't have to find hotel (arrive early in morning and leave at night) ?
      3.What is the must-see and must-visit place in Pingyao, how can I reach them for instance from train station?
      4.How about transportation in Pingyao ? does using public bus is esay : cleary sign, crowded etc, how much the taxi charge ?

Thanks in advance
      Sorry for asking so much questions

Cheers
      Deddy

• Asking about Pingyao

Pingyao Sep 29, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Hi,
      I'm currently in Beijing feeling bored and have a plan visiting Pingyao during this mid autumn festival, I have several questions, hope some of you can help me
      1.How crowded is PIngyao during October holiday period ?is it a bad idea to visit during this time ?
      2.If I decide to visit Pingyao, does 1 one day is enough to explore most of the interesting landmarks in this city so I don't have to find hotel (arrive early in morning and leave at night) ?
      3.What is the must-see and must-visit place in Pingyao, how can I reach them for instance from train station?
      4.How about transportation in Pingyao ? does using public bus is esay : cleary sign, crowded etc, how much the taxi charge ?

Thanks in advance
      Sorry for asking so much questions

Cheers
      Deddy

2 Answers Oct 1, 2006 at 2:42 AM
    • Miss.B's Profile Photo

Moving to Xian!

Shanxi Sheng May 13, 2006 at 8:06 AM

I recently was offered a job in Xian. I don't know a lot about the city and was wondering if anyone has been there and can offer any advice. Thanks.

Krista

4 Answers Jun 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    • Lushan lodging

Shanxi Sheng May 4, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Hi, I'm applying for a student grant and hoping to stay in Mt. Lushan National Park. Since the hotels may get booked by the time I get approved for the grant, I was thinking about camping/ finding a cave. Is this at all legal by the park administration?

1 Answer May 4, 2006 at 11:58 PM
    • Taxi from Taiun to Pingyao

Pingyao Apr 28, 2006 at 6:36 AM

Does anyone have anyidea of the cost of a taxi from the Taiyuan Rail Station to the old town of Pingyao?

1 Answer Apr 28, 2006 at 7:00 PM
    • state nearby

Xiamen Apr 22, 2006 at 4:13 AM

i'm planning to visit xiamen for a week. can anyone suggest me places nearby that i can visit during this 7 days?
      thanks.

3 Answers Apr 26, 2006 at 3:32 AM
    • Bus Hanging Monastery to Wutai Shan

Shanxi Sheng Mar 31, 2006 at 3:35 AM

Is there an afternoon bus from Hunyuan/Hanging Monastery to Wutai Shan?
      Thanks Binte

• Beijing to Chuan Hua --- how far?

Shanxi Sheng Jul 16, 2005 at 4:13 AM

Hello,

how far is it from Peking (Beijing) to Chun Hua County in Shaanxi?

THANK YOU SOOOO MCUH IN ADVANCE!!

Dinah