Shannon Travel Answers

change location
RedFraggle's Profile Photo

Shannon - places to stay and things to do?

by RedFraggle Online Now Sep 12, 2005 at 12:40 PM

My boyfriend and I have booked flights for a 5 day trip to Shannon at the end of October/start of November.

We haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, but have been looking at guesthouses in Limerick. Our price range is about £40-£50 per ROOM, per night. Does anyone recommend anywhere?

Also, what must-see attractions are there in the region? We probably won't have a car.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: Shannon - places to stay and things to do?

by orlikins Online Now Sep 14, 2005 at 3:00 AM

In Shannon town itself, there is nothing to do - it is just a dormer town. You could certainly spend a day in Limerick city, it is only 20 miles away from the airport.

Please see my Limerick page for things to do etc.

Ennis is also worth a look, as well as a day trip to Galway, or south to Cork. Cliffs of Moher is also doable. Best thing is to base yourself in Limerick, as it is the main transport hub in the Mid-West region and you can get direct public and private buses to these places.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Shannon - places to stay and things to do?

by Celticfawn Online Now Oct 4, 2005 at 3:59 PM

Ashgrove House is just down the road from Bunratty Castle and Folk Park and you'll look far and wide to find nicer people than Sheila and Frank Tiernan. Frank loves to sing and is more than happy to take guests along to singing pubs and festivals (if there happens to be one going on) Really would be better to have a car to see all the incredible sights that really aren't too far. But if you can't then you might join up with a tour to see the Cliffs of Mohr, the Burren, Knappogue Castle, etc. If you ask nicely you might find a ride to and from the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines