Shannon Travel Answers

change location

getting around

by psadler Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:30 AM

My sister and I are going to Ireland in June. We are both in our 60's and afraid to drive. We want to basically do our own thing so dont want to go on a big bus tour. Any suggestions on getting around? thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I presume you will be flying into Shannon based on the heading of your question? If you will be using public transport then the ideal thing would be to base yourself in one place som that you don't have to haul your luggage around and find new accommodation every night. from Shannon I think it would be good to base yourselves in Ennis, Limerick or Galway as they are all easy enough to get too from the airport. Then as well as enjoying those locations you could either work out some trips buses and trains or book some day trips with tour companies.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: getting around

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

One of the B&Bs where we're staying in Galway offers tours of surrounding areas. Perhaps you could find something like that. We decided to drive, but doing research discovered a lot of small-van tours in many places so you could take a bus or train and then book a local tour. Type some of your places of interest into the VT search window above and check member Travel Pages for Transportation Tips.

Good luck.

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: getting around

by leics Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Using the train (limited) and buses is easy, safe and will get you around.

www.irishrail.ie for train times, details and fares.

Network map of Irish rail tracks here:

bueker.net/trainspotting/map...

Dou ble-click the map to enlarge it.

Irishrail also offer some organised day (or longer) tours:

http://www.railtoursireland.com/

For all bus services & timetables look at www.buseireann.ie

There are organised daytours by bus running from many larger settlements. You'll find numerous options from e.g. Dublin. Just google e.g. 'Dublin daytours'

Daytours are not like the longer guided-tour type of holiday. A combination of those and using public transport (perfectly safe, used by everyone) should meet your needs very well indeed. :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines