Shanghai Travel Answers

change location

2 1/2 days in Shanghai

by robin888 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I plan to be in Shanghai. I was told it would take 2 hours to get from Pudong airport to the centre so I probably have 2 1/2 days in Shanghai. Do you have any recommendations..what places I should go to, food, etc.? thank you.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

Re: 2 1/2 days in Shanghai

by Richard.GVA Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I suggest that you consult the VT forum archive and the travel pages on Shanghai, there are hundreds of suggestions. And then return with any specific query, if any.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • NitNoy's Profile Photo

by NitNoy Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I would take the Maglev Train into town if you arrive while it's running. It only takes 17 minutes. You will need to take a taxi from there, but there are plenty waiting at the station.

http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl1_2.asp

• gaolei's Profile Photo

by gaolei Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I think it is 7 minutes from the airport to town. It is 10 minutes waiting for the Maglev. Drop your bags at your hotel, and head for Waitan also called the Bund. That is your first half day. Fromm there, back to the hotel and then to dinner. If you don't know where to go and your Chinese is zero, your hotel can find a place to eat for you. Feeling adventurous, Go to Bi Feng Tang restaurant. There are several in Shanghai and they have a picture menu. They have great roast goose and their signature dish is Duck Chins. They are really good, and they will test your willingness to eat real Chinese.

Next day, Yuyan Garden to see the Tea House. It is over 250 years old, and probably the oldest thing in Shanghai. Have lunch at the restaurant at on the second floor restaurant called Nan Xiang Xiaolong Mantou (南翔小笼馒头). These are delicious steamed dumplings and maybe the most famous dish in Shanghai.

Ok, after lunch, time to go shopping. You can shop around the Yuyan Garden area, or Nanjing road. Nanjing road it a walking street that starts at the Bund. The stores will keep you busy until dinner time. I would go to Yuan Yuan Restaurant and order Hong shao rou and a couple more dishes, up to you. They also have a good picture based menu, so no Chinese needed.

Last day, up to you. Maybe go to Pudong to go to the top of a tall building or the oriental tower. You could also shop at the copy markets. See my page for more information on markets and business cards from the restaurants.

Where are you staying? I recommend staying on the Puxi (west) side of Shanghai. Taxis are cheap and the subway is good. Puxi is the old side and more beautiful side of the city. Stay at the Heng Shan Moller hotel if you can get in. It is a beautiful 1930 Mansion turned into a boutique hotel in the center of Shanghai.

• npg's Profile Photo

by npg Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

i agree with gaolei about the moller hotel. it seems really really nice and well located. only concern is that the hotel is open to the public to look around (which i did) so not sure about foot traffic noise - but it didn't seem a problem when i was looking around.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines