Shanghai Travel Answers

change location
leffe3's Profile Photo

12 hour stopover

by leffe3 Online Now May 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I have a 12 hour stopover in July in Shanghai flying in from Zurich before heading home to Melbourne.

How straightforward is it to get from the airport into the city and what can I do in the time to get at least an introduction to the city? I'm happy to wander round for hours :) I'm guessing that in reality I'll get little more than about 6-7 hours (arrive 7am, depart 715pm).

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: 12 hour stopover

by xymmot Online Now May 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I was on a same layover and you need a China Visa @ a cost of over 125 usd. If you travel through China often, I would get a muti-entry good for six months, The Maglev train slides right into the city in less than ten minutes, there are buses and taxis also. Plenty of shopping and good food around the Bund. The city wakes up early and you will see many people exercising around the city, you can navigate the neighborhood and get around using the metro. Make sure you get your VISA first before your trip.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now May 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I was on a same layover and you need a China Visa @ a cost of over 125 usd. If you travel through China often, I would get a muti-entry good for six months, The Maglev train slides right into the city in less than ten minutes, there are buses and taxis also. Plenty of shopping and good food around the Bund. The city wakes up early and you will see many people exercising around the city, you can navigate the neighborhood and get around using the metro. Make sure you get your VISA first before your trip.

cheers tommy x

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now May 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM

As Tommy said there is a very fast rail connection into the city. If I were you I would have a walk along the Bund. On one side of the Huangpu River you've got the old Shanghai buildings from colonial times such as the Peace Hotel on the other you've got new ultra modern buildings such as the Pearl Tower. You can cross under the river by train - it's a strange trip. there are boat trips along the river. You can also walk to Yuyuan Gardens in the older part of Shanghai. This is a busy garden area with old tea houses, nicely laid out grounds. You could also stroll along Nanjing Road the main shopping street.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now May 14, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Thanks. Visa is a lot more expensive than anticipated though!

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

by MikeySoft Online Now May 14, 2011 at 6:14 AM

they also have a multiple entry visa good for one year for the same price it use to be some what easy to get, just check 12 months on the application. however the last time I got the 12 month vist, I was told they only give it to people that have been to China before. You can always ask. 

they also have a transit visa but I do not know the details. look into the transit visa to see if you qualify and save money. also book your luggage all the way home 

shanghai has a great metro system. the metro goes all the way to the airport. but you can save a little time by taking the mega lift, then switch to the metro as the end of the mega lift is not that interesting for sigh seeing. 

you can get a discount for the mega lift by showing your flights boarding passes. however, a same day round trip ticket may be the same price. 

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now May 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I just looked into VISA requirements again on the web and extracted the following...I reads that you don't need a VISA in transport, but you can't leave the grounds and if you do get a Transit Visa, it cost the same as a tourist fee, hence the 125 USD fee. If you never been to China, I would invest into it and see the sights and maybe you would want to return. (get a muti-entry visa) When you are in the city, it is cheap to get around and the boat ride down the river is less than 5 usd, I think it was a dollar and a half. There are many sites to see and to enjoy it for a day and return to China in the future would be good if you are into Asian culture.

Transit visas are for persons who are staying for a short period while in transit between two other countries. You must have residency in the destination country or have a valid visa for it. The fee appears to be the same as for a tourist visa, so check whether you might as well get a tourist visa instead.

Some airports do not have an international transfer area and you might have to collect your baggage and exit into the main area so you would expect to need a visa. However, in some instances the airport immigration officials will issue you with a 24 hour 'Stay Permit'. When you make bookings that look like you will not be checked straight through to your final destination you are advised to ask the airline or the agent, or contact a visa issuing consulate to check if a transit visa is required. See also Airline Regulations

Visa Free Transit
    1. No visa is required for foreigners who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airlines flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours and do not leave the airport.

2. Visas are not required for passport holders of the following 30 countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport or seaports of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas and tickets to the final destination and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours (going out of the airport is allowed): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and USA.

Requirements
    1. Applicant's valid passport must have at least six months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

cheers tommy x

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

by gdilieto Online Now May 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM

At Pudong International Airport take the Maglev high-speed Train which in few minutes will drop you at the "Longyang" station of Shanghai's Subway/Line 2. Take the Subway and in ~15 minutes drop at "East Nanjing Road" station in downtown Shanghai. Walk Eastbound to the Bund (Riverside Promenade) to enjoy the Pudong Skyline and the Bund historical buildings. This is the most-famous snapshot of Shanghai. You can then walk back to the Subway Station and walk Westbound into Nanjing Road - one of the most famous streets in Shanghai - and surrounding areas. When you are tired you can take Subway Line 2 and get back on your way to the airport via Maglev Train.

Note central-day hours in July are going to be steamy hot.

Enjoy your time in Shanghai!
    Giuseppe

by MikeySoft Online Now May 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I just remembered, the price of the visa depends of what passport you have. Basically, a China tourist visa costs what your country charges a Chinese for a visa for your country. Also sometimes shorter visas are less expensive. It use to be that way for US passports but and agreement between the two countries is for a 1 year visa. So US people now pay for the price of a 1 year China visa,130 USD even if they only get a 30 day visa. So I always tell US people to get a 1 year visa because it cost the same.

Assuming you have an Australian passport, you will need to check with the Chinese Embassy / Consulates in Australia for the price and duration for you.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now May 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Visa application all under control (it'sA175) - it was more a suggested whistle-stop itinerary I was interested in with 'must-sees' and recommendations. I've read VT pages etc but can't get my head round what is near to each other and what can be done in a day.

by MikeySoft Online Now May 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM

About185 USD, WOW!

The Bund is a much see.
    Nearby is Nanjing Road.
    Across the river is the Pudong side with the TV tower and tall buildings.
    You should have time to see other things like the Yuyuan Gardens as Metro Line 10 now goes there and connects to Line 2 at East Nanjing road.

by MikeySoft Online Now May 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

PS,

I have a link to the metro map as a link on my Shanghai page.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now May 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You mention not being sure what you can see in a day. We stayed on Nanjing Rd walked down it to the Bund. Walked the Bund, crossed under it by train to the Pearl Tower. Came back walked to Yuyuan Gardens(you have less time take transport). Walked back along Bund took a boat trip and walked back to hotel all in daylight time. That may be too much for 6 or 7 hours you could certainly do the Bund, the boat trip and the gardens.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now May 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM

About185 USD, WOW!

I know - crazy!!! I could fly return to Sydney for less!!!!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now May 18, 2011 at 7:04 AM

At 185 it will feel like you got Shanghai to China LOL. A price to pay, that is why I go to China less often unless I have business there and get multi-entry VISA for six months. I do enjoy the culture and really got into the different cities I visited. I hope that one day, China changes the policy and reduce the cost, but I doubt it as I have seen it rise. If you know that you will return to the area, it is worth it to get the multi-visa. If not , it will be a expensive day trip. rest assure though, the Pudong airport is boring after a hour and they even had free internet.

cheers tommy x

by MikeySoft Online Now May 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM

"I hope that one day, China changes the policy and reduce the cost"

I think it is supply and demand. They also limit the number of non-stop flights between the US and China so the Chinese Airlines can compete.

They must be Capitalist Dogs. :)

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now May 19, 2011 at 4:14 AM

Americans are the only country that pay USD130 for a Travel Visa - Australians only pay USD30 for a transit Visa
    china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/z...

by chinamonty Online Now May 19, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Just had another read of that

2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now May 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM

>>>Americans are the only country that pay USD130 for a Travel Visa

Brits too. I live in Melbourne but have a British passport.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

by leffe3 Online Now May 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM

But you're right. Agent was going to charge meA169 - but it will cost onlyA50 if I do it myself (US passport holders chargedA169 from here).

Makes a huge difference :)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now May 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM

>>>>

I want you to know that a transit visa is not required, so you have to stay in the airport..it is like reading the fine print.....If you want to leave , you have to purchase a VISA to enter the country

cheers tommy x

by chinamonty Online Now May 23, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I don't know how hard it is to do but theoretically the local Immigration officials at the airport can issue the transit visa but I don't think they are often asked to do so. The one thing I learned in my time in China was if you don't ask exactly the right question then they will not offer to tell you alternatives. ie if you want to buy a red pencil and they don't have one they will not think to tell you they have 1 million black ones you could have instead. I had many battles with Chinese officials and won my fair share of them - eventually.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines