Sha Tin Travel Answers

change location

How far to Sha Tin

by sfda Online Now Jan 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Hi

Could someone help me to identify how far the Horizon suite actaully is from Sha Tin KCR. I am looking to stay for 3 weeks but have friends in Tai Po/Fanling, therefore will probably be further in the NT some nights.

1/ Will it be difficult to get on the KCR and then change to Taxi, and how much will the taxi be?

2/ I know there is the Ma On Shan rail system which change at Tai Wai. Does anyone know how far is the Ma On Shan station from the Horizon hotel? How much is the train each way roughly?

3/ Are there any supermarkets neat the hotel

4/ Does anyone know which are the best floors as we don't want to stay in empty floors.

Thank you your help

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • RE: How far to Sha Tin

by VHHH Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 4:37 AM

1/ Not difficult, taxi costs about HK$80.
    2/ About 400 metres, train costs HK$6.50.
    3/ There are supermarkets in the malls next to Ma On Shan Station.
    4/ Sorry, don't know.
    Last train back to Ma On Shan depart at about 1am from Tai Wai, much cheaper than taxi if you can catch it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: How far to Sha Tin

by sfda Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Hi VHHH

Thank you for your reply.

The 400mtrs you mentioned between Horizon and Ma On Shan station, could you please tell me whether this is under cover or workway as I will have my kids with me as well.

Thank you for your help so far

by xiaoka Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 6:44 PM

firstly: there is a mini-bus that goes directly from ma on shan (near the hotel) to Tai Po, i have never taken it, but once you figure it out, its probably the easiest way there.

Horizon Suites shuttle bus to Shatin = ~20 minute bus ride.
    Horizon Suites shuttle bus to University KCR = ~10 minute bus ride
    Horizon Suites to University KCR by taxi = 10 minutes and about HK$40

Horizon Suites to Ma On Shan Center (mall + KCR MOS station + bus terminal) = ~5 minutes walk (uncovered). The buses from here go anyplace you would want (Central, TST, Shatin, NT, Airport, etc).

There is a supermarket inside the horizon suites and two at the MOS Center.

I would NOT recommend taking the Ma On Shan rail system if you're trying to get to Taipo or Fanling, its 15+ minutes in the wrong direction, the buses to University station are a better choice.

• RE: How far to Sha Tin

by xiaoka Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 6:44 PM

firstly: there is a mini-bus that goes directly from ma on shan (near the hotel) to Tai Po, i have never taken it, but once you figure it out, its probably the easiest way there.

Horizon Suites shuttle bus to Shatin = ~20 minute bus ride.
    Horizon Suites shuttle bus to University KCR = ~10 minute bus ride
    Horizon Suites to University KCR by taxi = 10 minutes and about HK$40

Horizon Suites to Ma On Shan Center (mall + KCR MOS station + bus terminal) = ~5 minutes walk (uncovered). The buses from here go anyplace you would want (Central, TST, Shatin, NT, Airport, etc).

There is a supermarket inside the horizon suites and two at the MOS Center.

I would NOT recommend taking the Ma On Shan rail system if you're trying to get to Taipo or Fanling, its 15+ minutes in the wrong direction, the buses to University station are a better choice.

by sfda Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Hi Xiaoka

Thank you for your info, it will help me a lot.

Have you stay there before as I am trying to find out which is the best floors to request as we do not want to stay in one that's too quiet.

Thanks

• RE: RE: RE: How far to Sha Tin

by xiaoka Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 7:17 AM

i don't know which floors are the best... i'm not exactly sure why you'd prefer a not quiet floor... hearing annoying kids crying from across the hall, etc is not a plus in my book. :-P

What i have heard is that the lower floors (up to like 5 or 6) are used for the tour groups... has anyone warned you about them?

about 4 or 5 nights a week, the horizon suites hosts LARGE groups of mainland tourists. generally they are segregated away from the regular residents, but sometimes its a pain when you're running for the morning bus and you have to dodge mainland country bumpkins... its not that bad, but you might be suprised when you see it the first time.

Also the pool is closed for the winter (through march or april i think).

by sfda Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 9:11 AM

HI Xiaoka

Thank you for your information, really useful

Thanks

by sfda Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Hi

Sorry, I just realise what you said then.

Do they get a lot of Mainland tourists as this is not very good for us. Do you know whether I need to ask for a floor away from them?

Thanks for telling me as this is not turning out too well at the moment

Regards

by xiaoka Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 11:14 PM

They generally separate the place into two halves, the lower floors (~3-4-5) are for these tour groups, and the upper floors (9-top)are for longer term residents. other guests may get the other floors, I'm not exactly sure.

But I don't even think you have a choice, they won't put you on the same floors at the tour groups, but just in case, be sure to request that they don't.

As i mentioned, its not really a problem except it can get crowded when they are coming in or going out as a group, usually in the mornings on certain days.

by sfda Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Just another question, I've been told that they do not separate smoking and non smoking floors. Does the rooms smell of smoke as I will have to small kids with me.

Thanks for your help so far

by xiaoka Online Now Jan 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM

i have never had a problem with smoke inside the building, at least not my unit or the hallways. its tile floors so it probably retains fewer odors than a normal carpeted place.

there's no smoking in the lobbies and hallways, other than the occasional scofflaw, your only interaction with smokers would be with people using the ashtray stand outside the main entrance.

but as this is HK, you're going to be getting a lot more second hand smoke on any given sidewalk anyway, so there's no sense in worrying about outside...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines