Sha Tin Travel Answers

change location

comfort and joy at Horizon Suite Hotel

by fillyphanatic Online Now Jul 23, 2006 at 3:48 PM

I've read the questions and answers regarding Horizon Suite Hotel with interest and found most of it encouraging. We're planning a lengthy stay come January and were wondering why the units get so cold (beyond the draft)? Do they have no heaters attached to air conditioning units in the rooms? Also, if the beds are that hard, is there a shop nearby that sells those foam bed cushions? And while I'm at it, are bed and bath linens provided, how well equipped are the kitchens,how varied is the cuisine at the local market, and, since we'll be bringing an infant, how "kid-friendly" is the area? See you in the new year.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Vita500's Profile Photo

RE: comfort and joy at Horizon Suite Hotel

by Vita500 Online Now Jul 24, 2006 at 12:57 AM

January and February are the coldest months in Hong Kong. Of course, the word "cold" is relative and while HK locals tend to dress in winter jackets, foreign tourists are still running around in T-Shirts.

During my time in HK, even I felt a little cold during the winter months in HK. Especially during the night it can get a little chilly as the windows of HK's apartment houses are of very bad quality and offer almost no insulation. As for hotels, however, I never had any problem with feeling cold. Their windows are much better insulated.
    Heaters are usually not included in the air-conditioning (maybe at the five star hotels but better don't count on it!).

In general, Shatin is a very nice place. The Shing Mun river flows through the city and provides a great opportunity for evening or daytime strolls. You can also rent a bicycle if you like.
    Also, the air quality is usually better than in downtown Kowloon. Good for your kid!

As public transportation is very good (KCR, bus), traveling out of Shatin is extremely easy and fast.

As for the details of your room, why don't you send an e-mail to the hotel. This might be the best and easiest way to find out.

Any further questions, just let me know.

Cheers,
    Robert

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines