Sha Tin Travel Answers

change location

Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by TCNJ Online Now Feb 19, 2005 at 8:03 PM

Has anyone stayed or currently staying at the Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan? I'm interested in your opinion especially the best and worst part about staying there. Any other relevent comments are welcomed as well. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
25 Answers
  • RE: Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by kkt789 Online Now Feb 25, 2005 at 7:38 PM

I moved in last Sat. The facility is exactly as shown on their Internet site.

Pros:
    * View from the apartment is stunning even for a Sydneysider
    * "New" building (2+ years old)
    * Less crowded compared to other suburbs on HK island and Tsim Sha Tsui
    * Large shopping complex 5 minutes walk away with modcon - cinema, shops, etc.
    * Clean, reasonably priced Western-style restaurant and cafe within 2-3 minutes walking distance
    * Convenience shop (Park-N-Shop) at Lobby-level for daily grocery items

Cons:
    * Limited number of English speaker
    * Fully furnished apartment but BYO cutlery, heater, spare bedsheet, etc.
    * Hotel bus to HK City is good and cheap - but morning trips are not convenient (for me anyway)

Weekned activities - still exploring but a hike up Ma On Shan is highly recommended. Have not found a nearby golf course or tennis court although there is one of the latter at Chinese YMCA Ma On Shan.

Signing off now - gotta to exploring...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kaisuny's Profile Photo

RE: Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by kaisuny Online Now Feb 27, 2005 at 2:06 AM

I live in that area. The hotel faces Tolo Harbour. Nearby a newly-built Train system may help you go to other towns or Kowloon. Hotel fare is relatively low.

• RE: RE: Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by TCNJ Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 7:41 AM

Hi kaisuny,

Thanks very much for your reply.
    I recently read about the new MaOnShan Rail system. It should help in our travels when we arrive there in 2 weeks.
    Thanks again.

TCNJ

by TCNJ Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 7:46 AM

Hi kk789,

Thanks very much for your very helpful reply.
    My wife and I will be checking in at Horizon in 2 weeks.
    Since we are on a budget, we chose a city view on the 8th floor. I'm sure the view there would not be as stunning as the harbour view.
    You mentioned in your reply that no heater was provided. How cold does the unit get? How did you resolve this issue?
    You also mentiones the morning commute was less than ideal. Are you using the new MaOnShan rail?
    Hope you had a chance to climb MaOnShan already and thanks again for your reply. Hope to see your next reply soon.

TCNJ

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 1, 2005 at 7:21 AM

Hi TCNJ

I bought a small fan heater ! Just OK for a 660+ sq.ft 2 bedder. It will be sub-10C again this weekend, although I am not sure what the forecast's like during the time you're here. Bring layers of clothes including some for the colder evenings. The hotel tends to leave the windows at both ends of the corridor open - hence cold draft gets into your room from under the door.

I tried taking the hotel bus in the first few days. I have to clarify that I'm on a year-long assignment here and daily commuting can become quite a grind if one has to stick a prescribed time of leaving for work, particularly it means that one arrives at work before 8:15 a.m. It may be different for those on vacation.

Over the weekend I did checked out the MaOnShan railway station - it's within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. I did not take the train but noticed from the billboard that the trains are pretty new, airy and bright and the fares are fairly reasonable.

One more word of caution - the mattress are pretty hard. Reminds me of beds in Japan!

I've also just discovered tonight there is a 5.5 hectare park less than 1 minute from the hotel - good for morning walk if one gets sick of the treadmill in the hotel gym. There's also a world class Sporting complex nearby with tennis courts, running tracks, etc.

Hope this helps.

TCNJ

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 1, 2005 at 12:07 PM

Hi kkt789,

Thanks for the info on the fan heater and the hard mattress. Hope the temp will rise a bit by the time we showed up.
    Sounds great to be on a year long assignment in exciting HK and hope you're not homesick yet.
    Besides the few English speaking personnel, how does the rest of the hotel staff treats its guests?
    Any suggestion on the best means to get from the Airport to the hotel?

Regards,
    TCNJ

by timberwolfer Online Now Mar 2, 2005 at 7:28 AM

hello!
    does anybody know how i can contact the horizonsuitehotel?
    i can not find any email address or something on the website.
    there is only the hotlint number given (3157 8888), but which
    numbers do i have to dial in front of that (i am calling from
    germany)?
    i appreciate any help a lot!!!

ps did anybody of you hear about the "bay bridge" yet? apparently
    another serviced appartment hotel in the same area and in the
    same price class....

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 3, 2005 at 6:36 AM

The country code is the same as Hong Kong 852 and there is no area code.

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 3, 2005 at 7:04 AM

TCNJ

The reception staff speaks pretty good English albeit with a HK accent - it takes time to get use to but otherwise its OK. Then there's the 'security guards' dress in all black and with a wired earpiece looks like CIA/FBI agents. They ensure the only guests are allowed in the premise and they generally speak some English, but will refer you to reception when the conversation gets a bit too much for them to handle. There is also the Filipino security personnel always at the entrance to the hotel - I have not spoken to them but I assume they can converse in English. Generally, you'll get by if you try to speak slowly and use simple words.

Any suggestion on the best means to get from the Airport to the hotel? If you've got lots of luggage, try taking the cab. It costs between HK$ 300-400 depending on traffic. HK$ is pegged at about 1/8 USD.

An alternative is the catch the Airport Express - costs about HK$ 90 per person one-way to Kowloon, then take a cab to the street (Hankow Rd) between the Peninsula Hotel and YMCA Hotel at Tsim Sha Tsui (commonly referred to as TST) where there is a Horizon Suite mini-bus shuttle that leaves every hour 8:15 am to 9:15 pm. The bus carries the hotel logo - sun and all that..
    If you decide to take this option allow for 20 minutes as it can be quite confusing to find that street and after that decide where to wait. I have taken the bus 3 times and missed it on my first attempt ! Wait on the side of the street closest to the Peninsula and near Salisbury Rd.
    Board the bus and inform the driver (speaks very limited English if any) that you're checking into the hotel (better still bring a copy of the rental contract or booking confirmation) - he'll make you sign on a piece of paper which will set you back by HK$ 10 per person. Hopefully there are guests on the bus who speaks Cantonese - they may help you out if the driver gets a bit 'cranky'. The bus fare is relatively cheap compared to HK$190 for a cab ride from TST to Horizon.

If there's two or more (but not more than 4) of you, I think it there is not much cost difference between the two options.

Anything else that you need - just yell.

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 3, 2005 at 4:40 PM

Hi kkt789,

Thanks much for the two options in getting from the airport to the Horizon.
    Another question to trouble you. Is it advisable to exchange money at the airport and where to exchange money near Horizon?

TCNJ

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 3, 2005 at 4:50 PM

Hi kkt789,

Just thought about 2 other areas.

Can the local call telephone in the unit receives incoming calls both local and international? How about making outgoing IDD calls?

Any problems connecting a laptop computer through the phone line? Is wireless connection possible in the unit? Any cyber cafe nearby Horizon?

Thanks a lot,
    TCNJ

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 6, 2005 at 12:14 AM

Hi TCNJ

I got my currency exchanged at the airport. I am not aware if there's money changing facility at Horizon but I will be surprised if there is.

Another optioin that I find beneficial to me is to carry a Cirrus labelled VISA card (debit or credit card) and withdraw your money via the ATM - the exchange rate is much better than at the money changers, e.g. I got HKD 5.6 to the Aussie at the airport while the exchange rate through the ATM is HKD5.99. Granted there were some rate fluctuations in between the 2 transactions, neverheless my experience is that ATM offers a better rate. Obviously, you have to ensure the interchange fee is less than 5% of your transaction.

Bring a GSM phone mobile/cell if you have one. Not sure if CDMA is supported as I never had one!

I have not tried calling IDD via the the local call telephone in the unit. The phone can receive incoming call - directly to your room. Based on this, I suppose you should be able receive IDD calls.

A better option (leading to your next Q) is to bring your laptop. Sign up for the Broadband service - it cost HKD 200 for set-up (administraion) and HKD 208 per month for a 10 Mbps connection. A good option to consider if you're going to be here for a while.

There are cyber/internet cafe(s) at the shopping complexes although I have not been to one. There are also 3 internet-connected PC's at the Horizon VIP club but I've never used these.

If your laptop is Centrino-based, then it maby be able to detect some 'unsecure' wireless connection in the city surrounding (downtown). One of my colleaque showed me a number of such connections while we're at Wan Chai.

I talk to my family in Sydney via the Broadband using NetMeeting. The voice quality is as good as IDD call. I get the bonus of video on top of that. If you want to consider this option, bring your webcam or get one here for around AUD40 / USD 30.

Meanwhile don't hesitate to ask if you have last minute questions. Give yourself sufficient lead time as I don't check this forum daily.

Have a good trip - Bon Voyage.

kkt789

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 7, 2005 at 6:12 PM

Hi kkt789,

I really appreciate all your helpful hints/suggestions, especially the NetMeeting, which I'll definitely check out. I'd like to treat you to a beverage of your choice at your convenience during our stay at Horizon. Thanks in advance if I've any more last minute questions.

TCNJ

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 9, 2005 at 5:22 PM

Hi kkt789,

Does Horizon has wireless router and/or LAN for broadband connection for my Centrino equipped laptop?

TCNJ

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 10, 2005 at 5:29 AM

TCNJ

The broadband connection is via LAN cable. I am not aware there is a wireless router. The hotel provides you the LAN cable when you sign up for the broadband. I think the minimum is a 1 month service.

You can shout me a drink at a nearby Casablanca bar/pub as the hotel does not have one.

kkt789

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 10, 2005 at 7:32 PM

Hi kkt789,

You got a deal, when's it a good time for you to be at the Casablanca? Do you have the address?

TCNJ

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 11, 2005 at 11:26 PM

The place is more like a Cafe & Bistro in OZ - serves western food (cakes, pastries, pasta, etc). It's on On Chun St (same as the Hotel) - turn righton exit from the hotel and follow the street - you'll pass Waterside Village (highly recommended place for dinner) and a couple of local shops/eateries. You won't miss Casablanca as it 'stands out' among the local shops. Watch out for a 1-meter tall square stand-up lantern on the footpath just outside the shop that says 'Casablanca'.

Check your VTMail on how to contact me.

kkt789

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 12, 2005 at 3:07 PM

Hi kkt789,

I'll write you separately (via VT mail) probably mid next week. One last question: What kind of electrical outlet plugs are in the suites, 3 flat or round prones?

TCNJ

by kkt789 Online Now Mar 13, 2005 at 2:24 AM

Might be too late. Plug here is the same in the UK - 3 square pins. Get an adapter at the airport on your end.

by TCNJ Online Now Mar 30, 2005 at 5:46 PM

Hi kkt789,

How's everything going? If you're tired of your regular hangout for dinner, you may want to try Maxim's Fast Food in the New City (Center?). It's located 2 stores front from the regular McDonald restaurant. New City center is connected by a pedestrian walkway from the MaOnshan Center. Maxim has both Chinese and Western quality food at a more reasonable price than Cas....... The only drawback is that you may/will probably have to share a table. There's a long bench table at the wall that you won't have to stir face to face with your fellow diners. Good luck.

TCNJ

by HKCanada Online Now Apr 17, 2005 at 10:01 AM

Hello!
    I am looking to stay at the Horizon Suite Hotel starting in September. How did you go about booking the room? I called last night, but they said to call back in August. Did you find that there were rooms available? Also, do you know how much (roughly) the cost is for a city vs ocean view? Do you know if anybody sublets rooms there as well?
    Many mnay thanks for any help!
    :)

• RE: RE: RE: Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by HKCanada Online Now Apr 19, 2005 at 10:03 AM

Hello!
    I am looking to stay at the Horizon Suite Hotel starting in September. How did you go about booking the room? I called last night, but they said to call back in August. Did you find that there were rooms available? Also, do you know how much (roughly) the cost is for a city vs ocean view? Do you know if anybody sublets rooms there as well?
    Many mnay thanks for any help!
    :)

by kkt789 Online Now Apr 24, 2005 at 5:33 AM

I suppose they don't want to take advance booking for Sept. There are always room available but it depends on what room you're looking for. All rooms are suites - 2 or 3 bedders. The cost depends on (a) which floor, (c) view, and (d) duration of your stay. An example is on the 12th floor (highest is 18), sea view cost circa HK$17K for one month, and HK$13K for 9 months.

They have rates for shorter stay as well - although I don't have the figures.

Subletting of rooms are not permitted. Furthermore, this is a fully hotel block unlike some of the complexes in HK that has mixed residential and serviced apartments.

• More questions: Horizon Suite Hotel in Ma On Shan

by RDCHK Online Now May 5, 2005 at 9:41 AM

I just posted a couple more questions for you kkt789, but I think back at the general Sha Tin page.
    I'm thinking of moving to HSH in July myself.
    Now that you've been there a couple more weeks how is it?
    Planning on staying your full year there?
    Is it too far out from HK/KL-both for commuting and language reasons? No Cantonese here!
    How much extra for a harbor view? Like your view?
    I may have a several more questions for you-hope u r up for it.
    ... And, more free beers as "thanks."
    Thanks in advance.

by emileah Online Now Jun 30, 2006 at 9:57 PM

I have been living here for the past 18 months. Stay here! The receptionists are very friendly. There is an awesome pool and sauna. A great gym, and a mini-movie theatre. The rooms have a small kitchen and a nice shower/bath. The TV has many channels including Discovery, National Geographic, and AXN. If you stay here you are sure to enjoy your stay.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines