Seychelles Travel Answers

change location
DaveSamaroo's Profile Photo

Seychelles Music

by DaveSamaroo Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I buy music native to every country I visit. I am going in April to Seychelles. Any recommendations for CDs or artists that are popular in Seychelles and will be regarded as typically Seychelles? Of course this is subjective but ideas will be welcome and I'll research it from there. Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Seychelles Music

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:44 AM

The Seychelles have the same Creole influences as Reunion and Mauritius islands, so seeming to stem from Caribbean music. Known as Sega music in the islands, one of the main singers in the Seychelles is Jean Marc Voulcy and another is simply called Sandra. You can find some of their music on Youtube if you care to have a look.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • praslinrep's Profile Photo

Re: Seychelles Music

by praslinrep Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Dave, this is a tricky one as Seychelles has a wide variety of music. If you stop by in Victoria town you can ask for Raise Music room or Kot Baba. They will play various samples for your choice. On Praslin I would recommend the local band Island Vibration CD. Any hotel you will stay should be able to help you locate them. Otherwise Jean-Marc Volcy is not a bad idea. Sandra is in Dezil and maybe for a more rythmic version try Jarimba or Mercenary, Jah-1 . Patrick Victor is more poetic acoustic style my favourite. Enjoy Seychelles music

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Seychelles Travel Answer Locations