Seward Travel Answers

change location

Seward to katmai

by dmaysey Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Is it possible to take a floatplane out of Sreward to get to Katmai? Additionally, how is the day hiking around Steward area?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • alapah's Profile Photo

Re: Seward to katmai

by alapah Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

When you say Katmai I am assuming that you mean Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park? Not from Seward, but there are air taxi providers in Soldotna, Nikiski and Homer that have commercial use permits to operate within the park (more info available here: nps.gov/akso/management/conc.... You can fly commercial flights (seat fare) from Anchorage to King Salmon and then charter from there - that is likely less expensive than a charter from the Kenai Peninsula but you should check around to be sure.

I haven't hiked much around Seward but I would recommend the Exit Glacier Trail leading up to the Harding Ice Field.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pringlepoacher's Profile Photo

Re: Seward to katmai

by pringlepoacher Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

If you are asking if it is possible to get off of a cruise ship and travel the 300+ air miles from Seward to Katmai national park, have time to do anything but hit the restroom and get back on the return flight back to Seward to be able to catch your cruise ship, NO. As for hiking around Seward, there are plenty of places to go. Exit glacier trail is extraordinary in it's beauty, but is quite a few miles from seward. You would either have to rent a car or get ride from a tour company if they go there. It takes a long time to get anywhere in Alaska because of the distances between places. Most people don't understand the vastness of Alaska. If you want to go to Katmai, you should go to the city of King Salmon and book a tour from there. The "valley of ten thousand smokes" is breath taking, but not easy to get to. Adjust your schedule accordingly. I sincerely hope that you make your way to Katmai. The pristine beauty is worth the extra time and effort.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines