Seward Travel Answers

change location
firefly2010's Profile Photo

Seward and surrounding area

by firefly2010 Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Hi to everyone out there that can help me...I will be staying in Seward for 5 days and I am looking for things to do in the surrounding areas. I have a car as well. Looking for kayaking, boat rides, hiking. Want to see wildlife as well. Be there in August. thanxs

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Re: Seward and surrounding area

by Roadquill Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I like Seward and it is a pretty area, but 5 days is a long time in Seward. You have time to check out the Kenai Peninsula, maybe spend a night in Homer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Apr 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Spend a day taking a boat tour of Kenai Fjords National Park. The coastal scenery is great, with glaciers mountains coming right down to the sea. You will probably also see a ton a of marine wildlife (sea lions, whales, etc.).

If you are flying in and out of Anchorage, take time to enjoy the drive beween Anchorage and Seward. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the USA.

Feel free to visit our Kenai Fjords page her on Virtual Toutist for more info about the boat tour that we took.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now May 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Hello
    I highly recommend the overnight trip to Fox Island on Kenai Fjords NP.. we stayed 2 nights in the (very comfortable) cabins there. (stayed there in June 2008) In the day people turn up for the usual salmon bake but in the evening there was a max of 15 people there and we had our own chef who cooked up some wonderful food. You can hike the island on wonderful trails. The kayak trip from the island allowed us to get up close to otters and eagles, waterfalls,starfish, sunfish, plus orcas in the distance. The beach is made of slate (great for skimming) with beautiful driftwood (leftover from the tsunami) that makes good photos.
    To get back to Seward we went on the Northwestern Fjord glacier boat trip - which we were also very lucky to see tons of whales en route (plus sea birds, sealions, seals) - the glacier was stunning.

Just found the link to the 5 day tour we did, so it's still running, though I thought we didn't need so much time in Seward itself...the island and boat trip was enough...
    kenaifjords.com/best-of-kfnp...

Please contact me if you want to know more about any of the specifics.

happy travels, Karen

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines