Seward Travel Answers

change location

Glacier tour in March!

by smiler_girl Online Now Jan 30, 2006 at 2:47 PM

Hi

Was in need of information relating to doing a day tour of some glaciers down Whittier or Seward way - with transport from Anchorage - where we will be staying. Most of the tours I have come across don't start until May and I will be in Anchorage in March (13th would be the day for the tour)

Ideally I was wondering if anyone would know of a tour that will run - there will be 3 of us - or if someone knows someone who does charters and will take us out in their boat to see the glaciers.

Please help....

This would complete a trip of a lifetime!

Tam

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: Glacier tour in March!

by rvtravelerz Online Now Jan 30, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Wife and I rented a car and drove to Seward...There is a glacier on the way down,(cant remember the name) and you have to take a boat to it...We didnt but before Seward is Exit Glacier, and you can walk to it, listen to the eerie cracks and moans and dunk you hands into the numbing icewater...We stayed at the hostel in Seward and the proprietors booked us on a glacier boat at a discount...Lunch was served on board and we saw and heard the glacier calving as well as whales ,dolphins, and birds...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • blue_sky04's Profile Photo

RE: Glacier tour in March!

by blue_sky04 Online Now Jan 30, 2006 at 4:58 PM

You are right that most tours start in May.

I found this Alaska Heritage Tours which offer special winter cruise.

Check this link: alaskaheritagetours.com/638....

Toll free at 1-877-777-2805

- Schedule
    January 31 (2006)
    February 3, 15, 19, 22, 26 (2006)
    March 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22 (2006)
    Other dates for groups on request!

- Details:
    2.5 hour cruise (Noon to 2:30pm)
    Includes hot lunch served on cruise
    Includes admission to Sealife Center
    Transfer from cruise to Center

- Tour rates:69 for Adults plus tax and fees34.50 for Children (2-11) plus tax and fees

Hope this helps.

• RE: Glacier tour in March!

by kennabrew Online Now Feb 4, 2006 at 11:22 AM

I will be in Fairbanks from Feb 20 - March 4th. I am looking into a trip to the arctic circle The tour driver requires at least 4 people. Are any of your tour interested? Kennabrew@yahoo.com

• RE: RE: Glacier tour in March!

by smiler_girl Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Sorry - but we aren't heading to Fairbanks until later.

We are looking at doing a tour with the company below up to the Artic circle

northernalaska.com/arcticcir...

Hope this helps.

Tam

• AK_Sailor's Profile Photo

RE: Glacier tour in March!

by AK_Sailor Online Now Feb 10, 2006 at 3:23 AM

Hi, I live in Seward and I'm sorry to say that March is not a good time for a glacier tour. The few boats that do winter tours during that month do not go much farther than the mouth of Resurrection Bay. The tidewater glaciers that are visited in summer are in Aialik Bay and bays farther west. Even Exit Glacier, the drive to and walk-up glacier will not be accessible during March because the road to it is not maintained during winter - until April. Whittier has no regularly scheduled tours during winter. Even private charter boats, which can be very expensive anyway, are hard to find in March. There are a few mountain, cirque glaciers near both towns but will not be very spectacular or even noticable with all the snow cover that remains. sorry...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines