Seward Travel Answers

change location

Wildlife Viewing in Alaska

by dadcap Online Now Oct 17, 2003 at 2:56 PM

We are two families with youngish teen children. We are going to Alaska next summer and would like to go at the best time to see marine wildlife (and land animals). We have different recommendations. Some say late August is too late, others that its OK. Is early July better. ANy help greatly appreciated on this or any must see things or tourist traps. We'll be doing the touristy Fairbanks, Denali, Seward, Cruise thing. Thanks from a neophyte traveller.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Re: Wildlife Viewing in Alaska

by dadcap Online Now Oct 19, 2003 at 6:33 PM

Thanks for the input. My wife and I went in June before and loved it , but we are leaning to July

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pdqbymas's Profile Photo

Re: Alaska

by pdqbymas Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 5:11 PM

re: 'crowds' in Alaska. Unless you are 'combat fishing', crowds are not like crowds in the lower 48. i have driven the main highways of Alaska for years, and it is not uncommon to find yourself alone on the road for MILES, even during June thru August. The 'worst case' scenario is occasionally getting 'stuck' behind an RV'er, or being delayed for 20 to 40 minutes where road construction is being done, as it can only be done in summer months. good luck on your trip! ps. the 'best' place to see animals is IN Denali park.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Re: Wildlife Viewing in Alaska

by kaloz Online Now Oct 27, 2003 at 7:39 PM

We visited Seward in Late August. I highly recommend the Kenai Fjords tour. We saw plenty of birds, sea lions, otters, Dahl's Porpoise, but no whales on the tour (6 hour tour is recommended). Then be sure to see the sealife center in Seward. There are many excellent displays and the kids will have a good time.

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Re: Wildlife Viewing in Alaska

by catalysta Online Now Nov 10, 2003 at 8:47 AM

The Kenai Fjords Tour out of Seward is well worth your time &$'s - you'll get a well-guided boat trip to see glaciers, fjords & all kinds of marine wildlife. Also, I've just updated my new VT page with some travelogue info for a driving trip on the Glenn Highway, which I think is one of the most beautiful drives around. Oh, and I love Homer, it's a wonderful quirky Alaskan town, with lots of artists and great fishing/boating ops. If you go to Denali Park, you should get to see a lot of land wildlife - but stop at Talkeetna on your way, the best views of the mountain are actually from there. In the 6 years I've lived here, there's been no way to predict which month of the summer will have the best weather. All I can tell you is that last July was spectacular, with temps in the '80's. I think we're going through some climatic changes...June will sometimes offer speicals or better rates, since it is slightly less touristed than July or August.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines