Serengeti National Park Travel Answers

change location

Good safari companies?

by lyall90 Online Now Dec 1, 2011 at 3:52 AM

Next June i will be in Tanzania carrying out volunteering work in a hospital in Mwanz and i'm interested in going on Safari in the Serengeti afterwards. Does anyone have any advice on what Safari companies to choose or has anyone used a good one in the past? I'm not on a huge budget probably about £500. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Good safari companies?

by sphynxxs Online Now Dec 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Well, safari never comes cheap, particularly not in Tanzania as they tend to offer a lot in the luxury segment. If you are in Mwanza already, you might try alternatively Uganda or Kenya, depending on your time. I think Fly540 flies to Mwanza, for example. you might try Ruma national park or the Western circuit in Kenya, for example. Will your volunteering be a short time or are you in Tanzania long enough to get resident status? This really helps getting cheaper rates at hotels and tour companies and is accepted within all the countries of the EAC, but you need the alien card as proof of your residency.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Good safari companies?

by lyall90 Online Now Dec 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Thanks :) We wont be in Tanzania for long enough to get Resident status. I have realised from looking about now i probably wont get any that are cheap :)
    I think we are pretty set on the Serengeti (mostly because of its reputation)and for ease of travel since we will be close by.Do you know any good companies operating in that area?
    Thanks again.

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Good safari companies?

by sphynxxs Online Now Dec 3, 2011 at 3:05 AM

I agree that from Mwanza the Serengeti is quite easily accessible. Unfortunately, I cannot name you operators in Tanzania - given their rates, I only went to the Tanzanian coast on vaccation and spend my safari time home in Kenya. you would probably have most choices comparing the rates of the many operators in Arusha, but as that is on the other side of the Serengeti for someone based in Mwanza, I´d advise you to ask around among your colleagues at the hospital - and maybe you can even pool together with some others who have a car and organise your own safari. if the Serengeti is like Massai Mara, you might find more affordable camps just poutside the national park borders which helps safe costs eventually. on the other hand it is a really big terrain, so being based somewhere in the middle of it safes time for game drives. In Kenya there are a number of private sancutaries which share the same ecosystem and wildlife yet are usually far more affordable and less crowded - again, your colleagues in Mwanza might be able to give advice whether something similar can be found around the Serengeti.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Serengeti National Park