Sequoia National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Drive to Union City

Union City Jul 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I will fly into San Jose because it is a nicer and smaller airport since I am traveling with someone who uses a wheelchair.

How is the drive from San Jose to Union City and how long does it take?

Can you recommend a nice hotel near St. Anne Church?

Thank you in advance.

more
    • san diego zoo safari park

San Diego Jul 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Is it a good idea to do a separate safari when visiting the zoo safari park? Thanks

more
    • photography locations

Laguna Beach Jul 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM

can someone suggest a good location to shoot images of kids with perhaps a flower/rose garden type of setting?

more
    • Tide Pools

San Pedro Jul 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

When I was a kid my dad would take me to the tide pools. I tried going a few years ago but I couldn't find the access road. Is it still there?? I would love to take my daughter now

more
    • Orange St and 5th

Long Beach Jul 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

this is right across the street from Franklin Middle School. It has a lower rent, which makes me question the safety of the area. does anyone have any opinion? thanks!

more
    • Sightseeing and activity recommendations

South Lake Tahoe Jun 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Hi,
      I plan to take my 3 kids to Lake Tahoe in August. I plan to drive there, and will stay there for 2 full days. This is our first time to Lake Tahoe, and I found lots of things to do and see when I looked it up on the web. I want to know what sights and activities are most recommended to see or do in 2 days. Your specific advise will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks

more
    • what todo today

Santa Cruz Jun 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

is there any events today in santa cruz?

more
    • Pickleball Play?

Santa Barbara Jun 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM

is there any organized or not, pickleball in Santa Barbara or close?

more
    • father son time

Eureka Jun 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM

want too catch a fish off of the north jette, with my son i have no clue what to use or were to fish can you help a bratha out ? thanks

more
    • public golf course

Eureka Jul 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM

are there public golf courses?

more
    • hot air ballooning and paragliding

Napa Jul 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Looking to do hot air ballooning and paragliding for our teenager girls. Napa is not much favoring kids due to wines; can you suggest any other locations in CA for these activities?

If we go to Napa, what else can we do with our teenagers?

thanks

more
    • What can i do in and near Seal beach?

Seal Beach Jul 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM

is there anything fun to do in seal beach for a good price? anything near as well? It'd a road trip from Texas! Also can you swim? Or is it for the seals only? are there actually seals there also

more
    • Oxnard beach/harbor area

Oxnard Jul 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

What is the Phone number to that free shuttle that operates in the Oxnard harbor/beach area?

more
    • Transportation

Pebble Beach 9 hours ago

How much is a cab from Monterey airport to inn at spanish Bay. Or should I rent a car?

more
    • Single Guy - traveling Solo

Palm Springs Jul 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out what is something I can do in one day all by myself in Palm Springs. I arrive Saturday at 10am and leave Sunday at 3pm.

I'm open to suggestions, but as specific as possible since I know nothing about the area would be helpful!

Hiking, Socializing, Dancing, activities, Resorts, etc. (no golfing, LOL)

Budget conscientious - always :)

more
    • transit help SLT to carson pass

South Lake Tahoe Jul 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM

are there any transit options from SLT to carson pass?

more
    • Best excursions in Fresno/Monterey Bay Area??

Fresno Jul 9, 2014 at 8:12 PM

We are coming to Fresno/Monterey Bay area around Sept 10-20. What are the top excursions to do while we are there? Such as Kayaking, sailing, salmon watching? Thank you!

more
    • Best driving route to avoid L.A. traffic driving from northern California to Leucadia

Leucadia Jul 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

What's the best route from northern California (north of San Francisco) driving south to Leucadia, CA to avoid L.A. traffic?

more
    • inexpensive family restaurants on the beach?

Manhattan Beach Jul 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Can you tell me a good inexpensive family restaurant on the Manhattan beach?

more
    • lallarebecca's Profile Photo

Must see L.A.?

Los Angeles Jun 29, 2014 at 4:56 AM

I´ll be coming for the first time to L.A. in mid-November for 3 days and would like to know what are the must-see, and must-visit places?

I have guidebooks at home but a short list from you people would make it so much easier to sum it up!

By the way, what should we consider when driving in L.A.? Is it hard to get a parkingspot downtown or near popular sights?

Thanks in advance! :)

more
    • activities for teenagers

Monterey Jul 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

activities for teenagers

Looking to do hot air ballooning and paragliding for our teenager girls. Napa is not much favoring kids due to wines; can you suggest any other locations like Carmel, Monterey in CA for these activities?

thanks

more
    • activities for teenagers

Carmel-by-the-Sea Jul 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

activities for teenagers

Looking to do hot air ballooning and paragliding for our teenager girls. Napa is not much favoring kids due to wines; can you suggest any other locations like Carmel, Monterey in CA for these activities?

thanks

more
    • Best Airport

Union City Jul 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I need to go to Union City, CA on a weekday. What is the best airport to fly into? How long does it take to drive to Union City from that airport? Should I rent a car or take a taxi?

Thank you in advance.

more
    • transportation from palm springs to san diego airport

Palm Springs Jul 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM

what is the least expensive way to get from Palm Springs to San Diego airport?

more
    • ScotsSunseeker's Profile Photo

Redondo Beach

Los Angeles Jul 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Hi again and thanks for the answers to my previous query, all very helpful.

Ok, Redondo Beach, really want to visit here and tried before but my wife was put off when the train stopped at the raised station and she couldn't see any transport link to take us to into the city. So, is this the only way to get to Redondo or is there a bus link from Downtown? I have done some searching and now realise that all we had to do was go downstairs from the station to catch a bus but I am curious as to any other way of getting there. We love bus journeys as we enjoy seeing a city this way.

Thanks in advance, Phil.

more
    • Just one day

by Dakotasmom Online Now Jun 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM

We are coming to SNP in August but we will only have one day there. What are the best things to do?

3 Answers Jun 28, 2014 at 3:52 AM
    • A short trip in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Help needed for itinerary

by abhisheks77 Online Now Jun 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM

HI,
      Next weekend (June 14th), I will be staying a night at Sequoia NP at Lodgepole CG. I will be reaching there at 11 noon on first day and will have time till next day 5 PM evening. I tried to make up a rough plan like this -

Day-1 Start from LA at 7 AM and follow this route ==> LA - Bakersfield - Tulare - 99 - J19 (RD 80) - 180 (E Kings Canyon Road) - Grant Grove - Cedar Grove. Backtrack till Lodgepole Campground and overnight stay.
      Day-2 Packup tent and head to General Sherman Tree - Giant Forest - Mineral King and start for LA around 5 PM.

Is there any other route, which will allow me to cover more place on first day, instead of backtrack ?
      Is it ok to follow that route, which I mentioned on both days ?
      Can I cover any other place on day-2 ?
      Or else, any other suggested itinerary, which will suite my days more ? We are not much into hiking and long tracking, but upto 3 miles rountrip is ok. We are more into scenic places and drives.
      Regards

6 Answers Jun 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    • jessenewmarch's Profile Photo

Where to camp in May?

by jessenewmarch Online Now Apr 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Along with a trip to Yosemite, my girlfriend and I will be stopping in Sequoia and are looking for recommendations on where to camp? Hopefully get a good close look at the famous trees (The General) as well as a day hike into the hills.

Thanks!

2 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    • Nanpops's Profile Photo

One day in Sequoia national park

by Nanpops Online Now Mar 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM

In early April we are travelling from Paso Robles to Visalia where we plan to stay the night then have a full day in the park. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

4 Answers Mar 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    • Nanpops's Profile Photo

Day trip into park

by Nanpops Online Now Mar 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM

What is doable in a day trip if we stay a night in Fresno and a night in Visalia in April?

2 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    • sharrison4's Profile Photo

Best route from the coast

by sharrison4 Online Now Jan 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM

My family will be traveling up the CA coast from San Diego. Where is the best place to break off and make the trip to Sequoias? Any suggestions and advice will be super welcome!
      Sabrina

7 Answers Jan 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    • mckinney3's Profile Photo

Quaint Lodging between LA and Three Rivers

by mckinney3 Online Now Dec 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I would rather not land in LA but I can't resist the non-stop low price fares out of Atlanta, Georgia. I want to exit LA as fast as possible but drive more than 1.5 - 2 hours to stop for the night on the way for a month long trip that will begin in Sequoia National Park (actually Silver City.) I would love to find something (B&B, Inn, Cabin) other than a chain motel along the way but it sure is not surfacing in all my research.

Any suggestions?

8 Answers Jan 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    • Vegas, Zion, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Sequoia - in 9 days?

by Mrsgilroy Online Now Nov 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

My husband says "let's go to the Grand Canyon" for our 20th anniversary. Well in doing all my research, I learn the location (and existence!) of Sequoia and now I just can't imagine being so close and not seeing the trees...

We fly into Vegas April 10th, arriving at 11:40am. We are to return home April 18th, leaving at 10:55pm. These are the only plans I have set so far. Got airfare from Maryland for $300 a piece.

I've tried to map loops to keep us going in one direction without backtracking and was hoping I could figure 8 these in...

I've even thought about flying into someplace in California and starting there...

My initial plans were touring completely just east of Vegas, but after discovering Sequoia...
      Most years we vacation in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, so this area seems more like us than the things east of Vegas, but I also know I need to see these places during my life!

Can they be done in 9 days without my entire family (two kids, 11 & 12 and DH) hating me from all the time on the road?

Thank you so much for your time! I look forward to the replies!

2 Answers Nov 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    • Sequoia NP in mid April

by davis224 Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I'll be in the park April 20-21, are tire chains going to be required even if no snow is present? I'll be sticking to the Kingshighway. I'll only have an evening and morning there, planning on Giant forest and Moro Rock, anything I should know?

1 Answer Mar 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Drive times Within Parks

by mckinney3 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Actually , I am trying to decide to stay inside or outside the park. I need a handle on drive times to help me make that decision.

So If I am 3 rivers area:
      Drive time to Ash mountain entrance?
      Drive time to Giant Forset
      Drive time to Moro Rock
      Drive time to Crescent Meadow

So, If I am in John Muir Lodge area:
      Drive time to Grant Grove
      Drive time to Cedar Grove
      Drive time to Yosemite entrance

1 Answer Jan 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Confused about lodging in sequoia and kings canyon NP

by mckinney3 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I am starting to put together an extended trip. Part of trip includes time in these parks. I completely understand within national park lodgings and accept that "it is what it is."

However, the reviews of the best places in these parks just resound with negatives and have left my head spinning on where to stay. I will be entering from the south and will spend a couple of nights in the three rivers location to get acclimated after travel. I thought we would spend time at two locations in the park to avoid driving in and out but I can't seem to settle on anywhere because of the terrible reviews (trip advisor)

I've figured out the hikes and the drives. So where to stay for 3 nights each?

5 Answers Jan 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    • Yosemite National Park or Sequoia National Park?

by Urbanomad Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Hi,

I'm going with some friends on a trip in June to San Francisco and Los Angeles and we wanted to pass by one the National Parks.... we don't have many days so we want to spend 2 days at Yosemite National Park or Sequoia National Park. Can anyone that has visited these 2 Parks give me they're opinion of what which Park they recommend / prefer?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

• Motorcycle Trip from Death Valley (October 7 - 11)

by scudderdan Online Now Oct 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I'm riding out of Vegas on October 7th. I plan to spend a day in Death Valley (actually just a sunset and a sunrise). Then I would like to cross the Sierras into Sequoia National Park. I would like to take Sherman Pass road. Can anyone tell me what the conditions on this road are like this time of year? Also, is there fuel available on that road? (J41).

3 Answers Oct 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    • Food availability

by patbarajas1954 Online Now Aug 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I understand there is a small market inside the park. Anyone know if they have fresh fruit, lunchmeat, eggs, cheese, milk and ice. Any vegetables? Smokes?

Please email me at barajas@email.com.

I would appreciate any other info on this small store. We have a big family and may need to add to our food supply.

Thanks
      Pat

3 Answers Aug 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    • Looking for guidance on travelling to Sequoia and Yosemite

by Newfoundlandgirl Online Now Jun 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

My husband and I are travelling to see some of the National Parks by rail this fall. We are leaving Portland OR on the 19th of October and have to be in Las Vegas on the night of the 23rd or early on the 24th. We know that some of the facilities will be closed but would like to see as much as possible. Neither one of us is a great hiker and we are trying to do as little by car as possible. Is it doable or are we just dreaming? I have figured out how to get into Yosemite (where should we stay that is not too pricey?) and we can leave by booking a train to Fresno and getting the bus out of the park. How to get to Sequoia - is my only option renting a car?

1 Answer Jun 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    • Advice on Camping in the Park

by amberwn Online Now Mar 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM

We are staying at Dorst Campground for 1 week with a group of friends and family the end of June this year. From what we've read, all food needs to be stored in the bear containers provided by the park. However I'm now wondering if we'll have enough room in the containers to fit our dry food and coolers. Does anyone know the size of the bear containers for the campsites? It also sounded like there are a few group bear containers, and I am wondering about the size of them as well.

Also any tips or information you can give us about camping there relating to food, would be great. We've done a lot of camping, both backpack and car, but now with kids we do mostly car camping around Las Vegas area, so food issues aren't revelant. I just want to make sure we have enough food for us for the week, and have adequate storage for our refridgeable items.

On our campsite we'll have possibly 6 adults and 2 kids. Thanks!

3 Answers Mar 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    • Las Vegas to Sequoia National

by 12121232 Online Now Oct 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I am going to be in Las Vegas for a week next week and would like to take a trip for a couple of days north or west of there. Any suggestions from anyone? We are considering Death Valley, Sequoia, or possibly California Coast. How far is it to the coast, or Sequoia?
      Thanks
      D

5 Answers Dec 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    • 1.5 days in Sequoia/King's Canyon - need advice

by punkzip Online Now Jul 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I am coming from Fresno and will have about 1 1/2 days to spend in Sequoia/King's Canyon. My hotel is in Three Rivers near the Sequoia entrance. I had some questions.

In this short time, is it worthwhile to visit Grant's Grove (particularly since my hotel is near Sequoia)? I figure I can take 180 from Fresno, visit Grant's Grove, and then head through the park to Three Rivers. Or is it better just to head to Sequoia first from Fresno (is 99-198 the fastest way?) and just concentrate on Sequoia/Giant Forest, skipping King's Canyon and Grant's Grove.

2 Answers Jul 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    • Easy Travel Mode to Sequoia National Park

by YolandaHikes Online Now May 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM

The bus picks up at different hotel locations in Visalia. As far as backpacking goes, the bus has a lot of leg room and also bike racks for any cyclists. Overall, the cost for a round-trip ticket is pretty reasonable, plus the free shuttles take you to multiple locations when inside the park.

1 Answer May 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM
    • YMCA camps

by danieldeleeuw Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 1:17 AM

I'am thinking of enrolling my son in a YMCA skate camp at Lake Sequoia. Can someone share experiences they have with YMCA camps. One of the things is that we are not religious. I' am wondering if the 'C' in YMCA is very prominent when you spend time in such a camp.

Daniel de Leeuw

1 Answer Aug 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    • Transportation to Trailhead

by dorindagunther Online Now Mar 2, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I am planning a lengthy backpack trip within the park in August. there will be 4 of us with packs and suitcases flying into Fresno Airport. I'm wondering if there is some shuttle service to transport us from A)airport to Cedar Grove Lodge and then B) from Cedar Grove Lodge to trailhead (Roads End) so that we don't have to leave a rental car sitting for 10 days @30/day!

1 Answer Mar 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    • winter options in Sierras

by golaso Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Help me decide, VT friends! Later this month, we will be leaving Yosemite on a Thursday and have an afternoon flight to catch on the following Sunday. We would like to tour the EASTERN Sierras, especially Mono Lake to Big Pine, but all passes south of Hwy 88 are likely to be closed... making for a long northerly loop via Carson Pass. Another "wanna do" is to see Sequoia & Kings Canyon NPs (a couple of days to do it justice?). Is it worth the time & effort, considering March weather, to do either? ...both? What would YOU do, within this limited timeframe? Does anyone have a good grasp on driving times to either locale (from Yosemite)? Thanks in advance!

6 Answers Mar 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM
    • Sequoia NP vs. Redwood NP

by memeof4 Online Now Oct 3, 2007 at 12:22 PM

We will be in California the first week in August,2008. The main things we want to see are the big trees. We won't be able to visit both parks so, which one is best???

5 Answers Oct 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM
    • Grand Canyon - Sequoia National Park - Distance

by djb1973 Online Now Jan 30, 2007 at 5:29 AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are staying at the Grand Canyon - (nearest entrance from Las Vegas) and would then like to drive from the Grand Canyon to Sequoia National Park. How long would it likely take to drive?

Then from Sequoia, how far is it back to Las Vegas.

Thank you in advance.

1 Answer Jan 30, 2007 at 9:48 AM
    • Traveling from Death Valley to Sequoia

by dbuckley321 Online Now Jul 30, 2006 at 6:35 PM

I'm taking a southern CA trip this summer, but have limited time. I've got my heart set on visiting Death Valley, and was hoping to jump up to Sequoia for a couple of days as well. But mapquest seems to be telling me the the only way to get between the two places is roughly an 8 hour drive, presumably because the mountains on Sequoia's east side are impassable? I'm really hoping there's a solution to this problem. Please let me know. Thanks!

2 Answers Aug 1, 2006 at 12:02 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Traveling throughout Sequoia

by mmyerspa Online Now Jul 22, 2006 at 10:24 AM

I am finally going to Sequoia! (next weekend). I'll just be able to spend one day in Sequoia, and plan to start in the Giant Forest, then go to Grant Grove. How long will it take to drive between the two locations? Any suggestions on what to see along the way would be greatly appreciated!

1 Answer Aug 6, 2006 at 10:52 AM
    • Where to go between Sequoia NP and Las Vegas

by Sulcata Online Now Feb 14, 2006 at 10:42 AM

We are travelling from San Jose to Las Vegas by car. We plan to stay overnight in Sequoia NP. I then only want a maximum 5 hour drive before stopping again to visit another national park or some other touristy location and stay the night - finishing the trip to Las Vegas on the third day (again wanting a maximum 5 hour drive). Any ideas?

1 Answer Feb 19, 2006 at 8:01 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Arriving from the east - via 395

by mmyerspa Online Now Apr 9, 2005 at 9:32 PM

I am planning a trip to Lone Pine, and would like to sojourn in Sequoia as well. What's the best way to get into the park from the east? Yahoo maps has me taking a 6 hour detour...south on 395, and then north on 99.

2 Answers Apr 10, 2005 at 7:45 AM
    • dahowarduk's Profile Photo

Touring Tips

by dahowarduk Online Now Jul 22, 2004 at 10:43 AM

We live in the UK, and are flying into Las Vegas for 2 weeks, from September 13th. For our 2nd week (as we head back towards Las Vegas from Santa Barbara, we wanted to find somewhere to base ourselves for a couple of days, where we could do some hiking and see some glorious countryside. Is Sequoia N.P. a good choice? If so, where should we stay, and can you recommend a hotel? MANY THANKS David Howard dahowarduk@ntlworld.com

• Sequoia or Death Valley?

by Kevin72 Online Now Jul 8, 2004 at 9:55 AM

If you were driving from LA to Vegas and had a choice of either seeing Sequoia or Death Valley, which would you choose? Is it reasonable to see Sequoia one day and then Death Valley the next? Seems like it is not a quick route from one park to the other.

7 Answers Jul 13, 2004 at 9:53 PM