Sequoia National Park Travel Answers

change location
mckinney3's Profile Photo

Drive times Within Parks

by mckinney3 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Actually , I am trying to decide to stay inside or outside the park. I need a handle on drive times to help me make that decision.

So If I am 3 rivers area:
Drive time to Ash mountain entrance?
Drive time to Giant Forset
Drive time to Moro Rock
Drive time to Crescent Meadow

So, If I am in John Muir Lodge area:
Drive time to Grant Grove
Drive time to Cedar Grove
Drive time to Yosemite entrance

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Re: Drive times Within Parks

by mikelisaanna Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Its been years since we were there, so I don't remember exact drive times, but I do remember that the road from Three Rivers up into Sequoia was very winding, with a lot of turns and a big climb uphill. We stayed in Three Rivers on our way out of the park and remeber it having some decent, affordable motels.

We stayed in John Muir Lodge inside the pak and used it as a base to explore Kings Canyon and Sequoia for 2 days. We then stayed in Three Rivers for a night on the way out. I remember the John Muir Lodge being OK, but nothing special, like the lodges in some of the other national parks. It's main attraction for us was its convient location in the middle of many of the two parks' attractions. Grant Grove was very near (I think about 10-15 minutes' drive) to the Muir Lodge. I think that Cedar Grove is about an hour from Muir Lodge. The road to Cedar Grove is a dead end, so you go to the end and come back. We spent more time in Kings Canyon than Sequioia, and did not make it to Moro Rock.

From Kings Canyon to Yosemite is longer than you think, due to the lack of a good direct route.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines