Sequoia National Park Travel Answers

change location
mckinney3's Profile Photo

Confused about lodging in sequoia and kings canyon NP

by mckinney3 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I am starting to put together an extended trip. Part of trip includes time in these parks. I completely understand within national park lodgings and accept that "it is what it is."

However, the reviews of the best places in these parks just resound with negatives and have left my head spinning on where to stay. I will be entering from the south and will spend a couple of nights in the three rivers location to get acclimated after travel. I thought we would spend time at two locations in the park to avoid driving in and out but I can't seem to settle on anywhere because of the terrible reviews (trip advisor)

I've figured out the hikes and the drives. So where to stay for 3 nights each?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Confused about lodging in sequoia and kings canyon NP

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I have been to Sequoia National Park several times. As you have noted there is not much in the park itself and even the nice properties like the Montecito are way overpriced for what you get, which is primarily convenience. In the town of Three Rivers the options are a little better but many of the motels are places that I wouldn't stay.

The best of the lot in Three Rivers is the Lazy J. It is a 50's style motel and a America's Best Value Motel. However the rooms are extremely clean and the beds are comfortable. There is a small free breakfast in the morning. The manager is friendly and helpful. Best of all the price is roughly half or less of what you pay in the park for a room that is not any better. For a place to eat I would recommend the We Three Bakery and Restaurant. Great breakfasts!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I don't know what you really want to do inside the park but 3+3 nights sound too many for me. Better keep time for visiting the close Yosemite NP.
    About not driving, I think you better do, not only for distance and where tourists are supposted to go are next a road and car park, there are bears, sure they are... I've seen 'em myself!

last year I had same doubts, at end I've been two nights at 'la Quinta' in Tulare, next to a 99highway exit, very nice hotel, charming people, clean, not bad breakfast and [much] cheap[er]. I'm still glad I did it, it was not so much more drive (for me) and it did not take long to arrive to park.

• mckinney3's Profile Photo

by mckinney3 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Thanks to all that are helping me.

1. We like to take long day hikes and drive around. linger in the visitor centers and generally immerse ourselves in a park. I don't like spending the day driving in and out of a park but I also do not like to stay in a dump at the end of the day when I like to relax. For example I would be fine staying right outside Zion but would be miserable staying out side Yellowstone. I enjoyed my stay at the Roosevelt Lodge cabins and that allowed so much more time to explore the Lamar Valley.

2. What is the drive time from three rivers area into the park? To stay outside the park, it would seem to explore the lower sections one would have to start the day in three rivers but what about the northern end as we also want to take some hike that begin from the Cedar Grove access area?

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM

From 3 Rivers you are about 5-6 miles away from the entrance to the park and a few miles further from the sites that you will get out and walk around. I think you would be disappointed with the lodging offerings in the park except for the Montecito which I believe is overpriced for what you get.

• kathykiger's Profile Photo

by kathykiger Online Now Jan 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Check out FlipKey.com, homeaway.com or Airbnb.com
    There are a variety of vacation rental homes/cabins for rent in this area and areas around the Sequoias. Some are riverfront.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines