Seoul Travel Answers

change location

Seoul with a 3yr old - travelling mid march for a week

by stacy_yx Online Now Mar 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Hi there
A few queries that I need help from locals:

1. How do you tell restaurants to make some dishes non-spicy in Korean language? Jus in case I can't find any suitable meat for the kid;)

2. Any kid centric places I cld go?
I have read quite a bit and these r a few
Pororo theme park
Lotte world
Coex aquarium worth going?
Outdoor parks will be too cold this time of the year
Any other suggestions?
Oh and is insadong better on a Saturday or Sunday?

And where is good for shopping on kids stuff like clothes and toys? Any particular malls?:)

I am planning to occupy my mornings with kids places then I will do my window shopping at night.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • olddude's Profile Photo

Re: Seoul with a 3yr old - travelling mid march for a week

by olddude Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I think you are a little misinformed about Seoul and its size as far as shopping. It is HUGE. As for malls the COEX is a mall...one of the largest underground shopping malls on the planet. The aquarium is just one of the entertainment venues there. There is also a great IMAX theater there, but don't know how mature your 3-year old is and could enjoy it.

However, back to shopping, it was my experience that children's clothes are quite expensive in Korea. That said, there are quite a few major shopping areas to choose from to look for kids clothes. There is Dongdaemun (the largest), followed by Namdaemun and Myngondong. There is also Akejong, but it is REALLY expensive as it is for the Rolls-Royce/Ferrari driver's crowd.

As to kids place's, in addition to the aquarium at the COEX, Lotte World is a great choice. The parade of characters is a good "copy" of Disney and there are plenty of shows just for toddlers. There is another aquarium at the DLI-63 building that is worth it for kids as well. One other place you may want to check out is the Folk Village as a kid friendly thing to do.

It really doesn't matter when you go to Insadong. In a city of 12 million, there is always crowds and something going on.

Finally, most Korean food is NOT spicy. You just need to know which dishes to order. Basically, if it's red, it will be spicy...simple. Since I doubt you speak Korean, most most menus have pictures of the food. So, as long as it's not red, you will be fine. I could phonetically write down for you how to say, "not too spicy", but that could come out wrong.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Re: Seoul with a 3yr old - travelling mid march for a week

by salisbury3933 Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Nice reply there Old Dude. I have a soon to be 2 year old, and was wondering what we could do to occupy him if we took the short trip over the pond to Korea. Have been there by myself and with the wife but never with the 3 of us.

Really good info.

• Re: Seoul with a 3yr old - travelling mid march for a week

by jinu4ever Online Now Mar 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Hi.

1. just saying "not spicy, no hot" with some body language should do the trick. Younger waiters/waitresses should understand simple English, and Older people should get the jist.

2. Pororo Theme park is very popular with the kids. Lotte World is great - but very crowded especially on the weekends. So hold on to him/her.

Lotte world is situated in a suburb called Jamsil. You've got the theme park, Lotte Department store and Duty Free which is HUGE.. Lotte hotel, - the whole suburb is owned by Lotte. There's also a Toys R Us there.

Coex Aquarium is recommended,
    Seoul Grand Park has a zoo which is quite awesome too. The Park is situated just off the outskirts of Seoul (but quite close still) in Gwacheon.

If you can travel a bit further south of Seoul (prob 1 hr) to Yong-In, you could go to Everland theme park. There's also a Korean Folk Village (Minsok-chon) around there as well. It's a great place to see what traditional Korea would be like.

Shopping is crazy. Three big department stores. Shinsaegae, Hyundai and Lotte. All of them are huge.

Myeongdong - You will find Shinsaegae and Lotte Department stores as well as Lotte Duty Free stores. Not sure you will be able to reach the department stores before spending all your money on the outlets at Myeong-Dong.

Jamsil - Lotte Duty Free and Department store

Samsung Coex - Hyundai (but relatively small)

Yeongdeung-po - Shinsaegae and Times Square (the brands, and a little more quieter). Also Lotte department store.

If you go to Guro or Gu-il station (closer) there's a Lotte Mart and Toys R Us.

Have fun in Korea.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Seoul