Seoul Travel Answers

change location

safe to travel alone to Seoul, Korea

by babym0use Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My 24 yr old son wants to travel to Seoul, Korea to just visit for a week ( he's been asking this for graduation gift) is it safe for him to travel alone? what area should he stay? can anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel?we originally came from the philippines but live in the u.s. thanks.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • KellyM42's Profile Photo

Re: safe to travel alone to Seoul, Korea

by KellyM42 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The majority of Asian countries are very safe, much safer than most of the U.S. I would think that if he takes proper precautions, he would be fine.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

South Korea is one of the safest town I know of where if to had too much to drink, people would put you in a cab and made sure you get home safe. For your son, he should stay in around the university or shopping district. One hotel that i really like and posted in my VT pages is the Savoy Hotel,23-1, 1GA, Chungmu-ro, Chung-Ku, Seoul, Korea ....it is near the Myeong-dong Station where you can quickly catch a metro to go anywhere also. Right outside the steps is a shopping path to coffee shops, department stores, boutique shops , bars and restaurants. It is a wide street that cars can travel on as well.
    Your son will have no problem finding fun and hanging out with the University students nearby.

cheers tommy x

cheers tommy x

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Seoul is extremely safe and being filipino he should blend in a little with the locals. I stayed near the eastern gate which was close to the market . Check this link out!!!
    english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu...

• olddude's Profile Photo

by olddude Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Seoul is very safe....probably the safest large cities on the planet. Getting around is easy, even for the non-Korean speaker. As to where to stay, that really depends on budget as transportation is easy and can get you anywhere in the city. The only issue would be that the subway shuts down after midnight, taxis still run...they just have late night rates. The city never sleeps.

As to what areas he would be interested in, he should check out Hongdae or Shinchon areas (lots of college kids). Also, if he gets lonesome for English, he should check out Itaewon, but that area, due to the high number of Americans and mass alcohol, can get sketchy late at night. However, there is a curfew for them so it should be okay. One other area thta I am sure he is curious about is Gangnam, but that area is quite expensive.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingnorman Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Very safe and fun to go to South Korea - I would even recommend he take the bus ride to go to the border with North Korea - very interesting to go there and also see the tunnels that were discovered, dug out as passageways from NK to SK...I went there with my mom and we flew from the Philippines for a very low price using "Cebu Pacific" (I was visiting Manila at the time and found good tickets on-line and I just booked tours through Expedia). I even have a video of some of activities I did with my Mom and two of my schoolmates who happened to be there too at same time...Hope you like it: youtube.com/watch?v=PfogpFf0...

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

by theguardianangel Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Like what others said, this country is one of the safest place to visit. South Koreans are one of the friendliest people I've ever met and your son might probably meet a lot of new acquaintances by the time he gets there. I recommend Saerim Hotel for the place where he can stay in Seoul. This hotel is near to the subway station and located within the vicinity of Insan-dong, a popular tourist destination:)

• Re: safe to travel alone to Seoul, Korea

by ukinsurance Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

As far as personal safety is concerned, let me tell you Seol is one of the most safe big cities around the world, theft and mugging is not that common. Moreover it is a globalized city, so he will find people from different countries to hang around with.

• jckim's Profile Photo

by jckim Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Safe! but very late night hours , there is no transportations. only taxi!

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Seoul is definitely safe and I am sure your son will enjoy the food and culture of South Korea. You can check my Seoul page for some useful tips. The hotel we stayed were comfortable and reasonably priced.
    "A modern tourist-friendly city" - Seoul by muratkorman

• chatterley's Profile Photo

by chatterley Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Seoul is a very safe city - even for lone travelers! During our last visit to Seoul in Dec last year, we stayed at Seoul Prince Hotel (next to a subway station entrance/exit) prices are reasonable but what stood out as its location - just cross the road from the hotel entrance and you'll find yourself in Myeongdong! Lots of options when it comes to cheap and good food and shopping!

• agha1963khan's Profile Photo

by agha1963khan Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Seoul definitely is a very safe city & your son will enjoy the stay but in late night hours , there is no transportations. only taxi! is available in other words i say this country is one of the safest place to visit. South Koreans are very friendly people. During my visit i stay in IP boutique Hotel this hotel is little bit expensive but your son will stay in small guest houses as your pocket allow

• pkhrjhdh's Profile Photo

by pkhrjhdh Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I agree Seoul is very safe - I personally went there alone a few years back and never felt threatened - even late at night, so much so I was quite happy for my 20yr old daughter to go alone, having been a few times previously she had friends to hang out with and preferred Sincheon/Hongdae area - as for accommodation we always use Motels as they are cheaper then hotels and some are luxury! ( Agoda lets you book and pay for motels online) we have stayed in Queen 21 and my daughter always favours The Meridian - both in Sincheon, not luxury but we never had a problem! When is he going to go - I met most of my Korean friends online through places like ITALKI and now meet up with them every time we go, this was a great help - especially the 1st time we went as one of my friends even came to meet us at the airport and showed us around Seoul and now i have so many we are never short of company!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Seoul