Semmering Travel Answers

change location

Semmering ski trip

by WendyG Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 4:07 AM

Hi,
I'm from Australia, and I will be travelling to Vienna solo for one week in early Dec (2-8 Dec). I am considering whether to go ski in Semmering since it is one of the few ski resorts close to Vienna. I would like to know when the ski season starts there in Semmering, and whether it will be too crowded in early December? Also, are there many hostels or alternative sorts of accomodation (cheaper accomodation) apart from Grandhotel Panhans, if so how far are they from the ski mountain? Does anyone know where (a website) I can check up for prices of ski hire and ski passes there?
Since I am travelling solo, I'd like to know as much information as possible for peace of mind.

Appreciate your response.
Wendy G

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WStat's Profile Photo

Re: Semmering ski trip

by WStat Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Hi Wendy,

just to be on the safe side, I would strongly recommend to go rather to one of the Salzburg-ski-areas, than to Semmering. Although Semmering is a very beautiful place, there is a big problem with the availability of enough snow, especially before January. Salzburg, the Radstädter Tauern etc are onlý about 4 hours drive from Vienna and much more convenient, also with respect to the number of various hostels and hotels.Have a look at http://www.obertauern.com/
    Have fun !

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 10:30 AM

in winter 2005/06 we had so plenty of snow and it was extremely cold from october till April.
    In winter 2006/07 it was the warmest winter since hundreds of years, almost no snow through-out winter and in Semmering it looked funny, because everything was green, grey or brown and a slope of snow was added artificially by snow-cannons...
    so it is hard to predict anything.
    Semmering is maybe not really the best place to go, if skiing is what you like to try out, these slopes of artificial snow are also rather for experienced skiers !

• DoruSt's Profile Photo

by DoruSt Online Now Aug 7, 2007 at 4:31 AM

• pakistanibrain's Profile Photo

by pakistanibrain Online Now Aug 29, 2007 at 6:50 AM

Semmering is a good option if you want to combine it with a trip to Vienna that doesn't give you enough time to spend a day or two in Salzburg's surrounding areas. But as the others have mentioned it's a bit of a lottery.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines