Selcuk Travel Answers

change location

From Selçuk to Pamukkale

by juliaBE Online Now Nov 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I'm planning my first trip to Turkey in May on my own and I haven't got much time. I need to know if its possible to do this part of the itinerary like this:
From Izmir to Selcuk to visit Efeso, catch an evening bus to Pamukkale, spend the night there and see the sights the following morning. (Aphrodisias and the Pamukkale travertines). That very night we need to take a bus to Marmaris to catch the ferry to Rhodes. Is it too tight a schedule? Thanks for any piece of advice! Julia

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: From Selçuk to Pamukkale

by Kuskiwi Online Now Nov 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

The Selcuk to Pamukkale day is fine by public transport. I'd be concerned about the second day as Aphrodisias is slightly akward and time consuming to get to by public transport, (last time I did it it needed 3 changes each way which takes time) particularly if you are relying on being back in time to get to Marmaris before the ferry leaves. Before making that decision check with the local hotel as transport options change. There is plenty to do at Hierapolis Pammukkale/Denzili so most of a day could easily be spent there. Very few realise that you can actually walk (bare footed) up along the outer edge of the travertines on a small ridge but still in the water. Great way to remove the hard skin on ones feet! You enter by the bottom guard station and get a totally different perspective of the travertines.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by juliaBE Online Now Nov 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Thank you. Then, you mean that visiting Efeso and leaving in the evening to Pamukkale is ok and then you recommend me to stay the whole day at Pamukkale walking and enjoying the sights before travelling to Marmaris. Is that correct? It's just that I heard that one shouldn't miss Aphrodisias. What about going by car? Is it possible to make it that way? Is it easy to drive if one does not speak Turk? Thank you for your help!!!

by Kuskiwi Online Now Nov 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Yes you interpreted my answer correctly. If you are not on a budget you can certainly either hire a car to self drive, or you could hire a taxi for the day or afternoon to take you there. You didn't mention transport and I made the incorrect assumption that you were relying on public transport. There many also be morning or afternoon tours available that will take you there but you would need to check locally on availability and timing. I agree Aphrodisias is fabulous and it is among my favourite sites - but it is a little out of public transport loop.

by juliaBE Online Now Nov 15, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Thank you! You've been very helpful.

• ayferselci's Profile Photo

Re: From Selçuk to Pamukkale

by ayferselci Online Now Dec 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM

You should be careful about arrival to Marmaris. In May, there will probably be only one ferry and it will be in the morning so I think, it is better not to stay overnight in Pamukkale, stay in Marmaris the night before the ferry. The ferry will probably leave 9:00 am in the morning and it will be difficult to make it there if you stay in Pamukkale.
    About Aphrodisias, if you want to do it by yourself, you can rent a car and drive there.It is on your way from Selcuk to Pamukkale. So you should consider to stay in Selcuk and drive to Pamukkale and see Aphrodisias on your way. It is not easy to find public transportation to Aphrodisias. If you are not on budget, you can book a private tour and it will make it possible to see Aphrodisias and Pamukkale in the same day and you can catch the bus to Marmaris or they will drive you to Marmaris with a small difference in price.

• toosahn's Profile Photo

by toosahn Online Now Apr 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I also recommend staying in Marmaris. I have taken the ferry from there to Rhodos and there is only one in the morning. Can't remember the time it leaves.

• EmreSelcuk's Profile Photo

by EmreSelcuk Online Now May 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

There are many agencies in Selcuk that does the Pamukkale-Hierapolis tour. All of them are the same schedule pretty much. Basically it is like this:

Pick up at around 8

Lunch in Pamukkale around 12.00/13.00

Visiting Pamukkale travertines and Hierapolis ancient city for few hours

Return at 4.30

And drop off to your hotel around 8.00 o'clock in the evening.

If you need more information you can also visit travelselcuk.com/pamukkale-h...

And you can take a late bus to Marmaris, or you can leave the tour in Pamukkale and take a ride to Marmaris instead.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines