Selcuk Travel Answers

change location

Çanakkule > Bergama > Selçuk ?

by rawpaul Online Now Mar 12, 2007 at 12:12 PM

We'd like to stop and see Pergamum while travelling from Çanakkule to Selçuk, but I've been told that the main bus route from Çanakkule to Izmir/Selçuk does not pass through Bergama (30 km off the route). Is it feasible to get from Çanakkule to Bergama, visit the sites at Pergamum and then get to Selçuk that night ? I believe it takes 2-3 from Çanakkule > Bergama and about the same from Bergama > Selçuk, so if we left early in the morning and we willing to arrive at Selçuk in the evening, it seems we should be able to fit about 6 hours in at Pergamum. Or am I dreaming ?

But I have no idea how to arrange the travel to and from Bergama. Can anyone make suggestions ?

(We only have one full day in Selçuk, and most of another day, and we want to fit in Ephesus and a day trip to Pamukkale. So we won't be able to fit in a day trip to Pergamum from Selçuk)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

RE: Çanakkule > Bergama > Selçuk ?

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Online Now Mar 13, 2007 at 2:46 AM

hi there ,
    yeah pergamon is one of the best ancient sites on the aegean coast and you shouldnt miss ; i should say it would be easier and faster if you are able hire a car from canakkale to Selcuk to save some time.Even though you can find an early bus from canakkale to izmir(3.5 hours approx)(truva seyahat-the bus company) you will need to get off Bergama junction to catch another bus to centre.then a small 'dolmus' up to the ruins(or you will walk) if you can make it within 2-5 hours , you can find direct bus from bergama to izmir (takes 2,5 hours) and selcuk(another 1,5 hours) well under these circumstances its impossible to finish it all of within a day as it will be almost evening when you arrive at selcuk and museums &sites will be closed.but i say its possible if you hire a car !

good luck

**pls. note that bus will stop for refreshment somewhere on the road for at least 25 minutes !!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TheAndos's Profile Photo

RE: Çanakkule > Bergama > Selçuk ?

by TheAndos Online Now Mar 16, 2007 at 12:29 AM

I found the same problem - fitting in the sites in this area of Turkey. So we are going to do Selcuk-Peramum-Canakakle-Troy-Gallipoli Istanbul with http://www.hasslefreetour.com
    They do similar tours in reverse.

Hope this helps!

• Theophorus's Profile Photo

Re: Çanakkule > Bergama > Selçuk ?

by Theophorus Online Now Apr 21, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Apparently, there are a few buses, especially in the morning, coming from Ayvalik and Dikili and heading to Bergama otogar. You can drop off the bus (from Canakkale) at one of these intersections. Also, you can drop at the intersection for Bergama and heachhike from there. In the morning it shoul be quite easy.

The trip to Bergama is one in its own: if you don't have your own transportation, it will take a whole day. You can make it shorter by taking a taxi to the Akropolis from Tourism Inf. Center (maybe 10E for return trip, with one hour wait at the site), but the visit (including town and Askleplion) will take 4 to 5 hours. Then, you can take one of the buses to Izmir (each 1/2h or so) and from there a bus (train?) to Selcuk. If you have already a room booked, the time of your check in will be of no concern.

That's what I would do.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines