Segovia Travel Answers

change location

Segovia Salamanca or Avila

by greenday Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Hi, we are trying to decide between Salamanca, Segovia and Avila. We have never been to this part of Spain. We have 3 spare days as part of a trip including Spain and Portugal. Is it possible to maybe fit in 2 of these places? Thanks for any help.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

Re: Segovia Salamanca or Avila

by puerto_lover Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Each has own wonder. In my opinion depends what time of year, how you are travelling, whether en route from say Madrid to Portugal with 3 days in between, etc etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Segovia and Avila are 36 miles apart. Salamanca is 54 miles west of Avila on one of the main routes to Portugal. With three days and A CAR, I see no reason why you couldn't visit all three.It's probably doable by train also.

The main attraction of Avila is the wall and towers and the location. The view as you approach from the south is quite impressive. But you can take it in in a couple of hours.

The Roman aqueduct at Segovia is one of the most impresive you will ever see, and you can take that and the other main attractions in in a half day.

Never been to Salamanca, but it's on my list. If you take a day to see Avila and Segovia, spend the night in Segovia, you can spend two days in Salamanca.

Or do the reverse if you are coming from Portugal.

That my two cents not knowing the details of where you are starting and ending your trip.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I'd go for Salamanca or Segovia. I didn't like Avila much, except for its beautiful and weel preserved walls.

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM

We stayed in a little village on the River Cega just south of Valladolid 3 or 4 years ago, and did all these places. Slightly agree with the last poster in that perhaps Avila doesn't have too much to offer beyond fantastic medieval walls - if I recall correctly (I dont have my books right now) the huge walls were built after the reconquest rather than being the usual Roman/Arabic based. Salamanca is pretty impressive in the old town/Plaza Mayor down to the cathedral and the university. And as an avid collector of Spanish books, the bookshops around the uni are a goldmine! It was also the setting for that decent thriller about assassinating the US President, cant recall the name.

As with other posters I agree you should do all 3 in 3 days, they're none of them that big. Another alternative is to take in Zamora, depending on which way you are heading to Portugal. Maybe Segovia/Zamora/Salamanca? Toro worth an hour stop on the way.

• Re: Segovia Salamanca or Avila

by greenday Online Now Oct 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. After reading what you have said it seems we might be able to fit in all 3 after all, probably with just a half day at Avila. Would we be best to see Avila early in the morning, or late afternoon and spend the night? We will be travelling by train, starting in Madrid then moving through Andalusia (Cordoba, Seville for easter, Granada, Ronda), back to Madrid for an overnight train to Lisbon, then up to Obidos, Coimbra and Porto. I believe there is an overnight train from Porto to Avila or Salamanca. We have 3 weeks in total for Spain and Portugal. Many thanks again.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines