Segovia Travel Answers

change location

Segovia To Barajas

by asaustrup Online Now Feb 11, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I have to make a decision on where to spend the last night in Spain on our trip in April. We fly out of Barajas.

I have been told that Segovia is lovely at night and I thought it might be fun to spend the night there rather than Madrid and travel from Segovia to Barajas to catch my 1:10 pm flight home.

Can any of you wise advisors give me an idea of how long the AVE to Chamartin, the metro to Barajas would take from Segovia? This is on a Sunday morning. From what I read it seems like about 90 minutes travel time.

Is this a crazy idea or a really clever plan?

Cheers,

Arne

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: Segovia To Barajas

by Redang Online Now Feb 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM

- For train: www.renfe.es
    - For metro: www.metromadrid.es

Both sites give you timetables.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I have not been to Segovia for a while and certainly before the AVE station was built, but I assume that the new AVE station is not central in Segovia and you would perhaps need a taxi to get to it. Needs looking into. Also there appears to be infrequent trains running in the morning leaving Segovia at 07.23, 08.00 or 09.58 (but check using http://www.renfe.es/horarios/index.html and use Todas las Estaciones and Buscar to find Segovia or Segovia AVE) and so I believe that you would be advised to catch the 08.00 train because maybe the later one is going to leave you with not enough 'hassle free' time for your onward journey to Barajas from Chamartin.
    The regional Segovia train station is closer to the centre but trains from here take longer as they stop everywhere.

So that's an early departure from Segovia.

You probably already know that the bus operator LA SEPULVEDANA http://www.lasepulvedana.es has regular bus journeys between Madrid and Segovia but the journey takes longer.

By the way. If you do get to Chamartin station using the train then I would personally use the 'cercanias' train that regularly runs between Chamartin and Atocha and get one that stops at Nuevos Ministerios then take the direct Metro Line 8 (the Pink One !) to the airport.

Hopefully a LOCAL can advise about this change.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM

You can get the Cercanias train times using the local page for Madrid here:

renfe.es/cercanias/madrid/in...

you can see that the trains are frequent and journey time is only a matter of a few minutes from Chamartin to Nuevos Ministerios.

• nomad7890's Profile Photo

by nomad7890 Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Note that there are two train stations in Segovia - and two trains. One of the trains takes longer, the other one gets there right away. I had been to Segovia some years back and returned this December. Sorry I don't recall exactly which one takes longer, but as mentioned you should be able to find it on the renfe.es site - Cercanias. The longer route is more scenic, but it's pretty long.

As another option, when you say 'staying at night' - how late did you want to stay? Have you considered just taking the last train back to Madrid and staying right by Barajas? I've stayed at the Hilton there, but there are many other hotels right by the airport. A 1 pm departure does give you a little flexibility so it is doable - but you don't have much time for anything unexpected that could surface the morning of your flight.

• Re: Segovia To Barajas

by chopchi Online Now Feb 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I always take the bus to Segovia!It takes just under an hour and drops you off at the bus station which is an easy/short walk to the aqueduct. When you arrive at the bust station get your return ticket for the next day-you'll be assigned a seat number.
    Try to make time to go to La Granja-about 15 minutes by bus from Segovia.It is often overlooked but to me as interesting as Segovia-beautiful palace groundswith fountains -a mini Versailles! The La Granja bus leaves from the Segovia bus station.
    In Madrid the bus leaves from Principe Pio and the metro station is also there-how easy is that! If you have some time,you can wander through the shopping mall.Very clever use of a historic buliding.
    In my opinion the trains are not worth the effort/hassle!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines