Sedona Travel Answers

change location
Agraichen's Profile Photo

Must Do Things in Sedona?

by Agraichen Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Finally knocking one off my bucket list. A photo weekend in Sedona, AZ. I've got Tlaquepaque, Bell Rock, Courthouse Bute, Red Rock Crossing, Holy Cow, Airport Mesa and Gold King covered but am looking for any advice from folk that have been there or live there for "insider must do" activities or places to photograph. In looking at past VT comments Montezuma's Well seems to come up. Still researching what I can cover in the limited long weekend I'll have there in early May this year.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: Must Do Things in Sedona?

by blueskyjohn Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

A "must do" is the hike to the top of Doe Mountain. It is one of the best places in Sedona to watch sunsets and you can get a 360 degree view of Sedona and the surrounding area. It is a mesa so you can totally explore the top at your leisure. There is no set trail once ontop but walking straight once ontop to the opposite side, then turn right, you can circumnavigate the rim. Be sure to bring a headlamp for the hike out if you go to watch the sunset.

Will post more a little later.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Make sure you stop by the Chapel of the Holy Cross on the outskirts of town.

• YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The Heartline Cafe for the Pecan Crusted trout

by YVRDave Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

by blueskyjohn Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If you are into hiking to get your photo shots, here is another "off the beaten track" hike that is not in many guide books and not really recognized by the park service. It is known as "Lost Canyon." The trail starts just at the start of the Brins Mesa trail. The coordinates for this trail start are N34 55.002 W111 48.475. I tell you this because it is difficult to find but once on the the canyon rim it is totally worth it and I think the best hike in Sedona. The trail can be done as an in and out but if your really adventurous, you can continue around the canyon rim which will take you out by Devils bridge. Hike that trail back out to the road. The one way hike is about 5.5 miles. The trail is well established but if you have fear of heights it could be troubling at some points. The trail runs along two canyons, the first not as long but has a small indian ruin at the base. There is another ruin high above the trail but difficult to get to and not recommended. The trail fades at the far pint of the second canyon. You can continue on but there are only sporadic cairns. I've done this about 6 times so I know the way but I can tell you the first and second time were a bit of an epic. The thing is you can see where you need to go from the near side of the canyon but lose perspective once on the other side. I'll add some photos on my Sedona page I've been putting off creating, lol. Email me if you want the entire track log for gps.

• Re: Must Do Things in Sedona?

by 1funs8 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

When we're there we consider a meal at the Havelina Cantina a "must do".

• Re: Must Do Things in Sedona?

by 1funs8 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

When we're there we consider a meal at the Havelina Cantina a "must do".

by blueskyjohn Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

After a long day of hiking, I like to visit the Red Planet diner. If I hiked a particularly long trail, I treat myself to the chili cheese fries. Really good!

http://www.redplanetdiner.net/

by YVRDave Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Since you are now on a fixed income, I am glad you fixed it up here (hand at eye level), you may like the Pink Jeep tour also Tlaquepaque tlaq.com is a nice little arts and craft store/artist community, surprisingly next to the Oak Creek Brewery and Grill, I know some of your weaknesses Al. Have a great trip. Kokopelli is a must buy

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Ah..Dave... "fixed income retirement is all relative..."

Pink Jeep tour and Tlaquepaque are in the plan. Tanni plans to spend the weekend in one of the spas. BUT the Oak Creek Brewery and Grill sounds like an add on. I'd not heard of that one yet. I'll check out Kokopelli but I'm really trying to cut donwn on buying stuff that takes up room.

• toddecus's Profile Photo

by toddecus Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Devil's Bridge is a relatively easy hike and could be fun to photograph from multiple angles. Looks like someone else also suggested it. The outdoor pulpit at the chapel of the holy cross can be a photo op too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines