Seattle Travel Answers

change location
tracyskf's Profile Photo

Foodie trip in Seattle

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Hi
I am heading to Seattle in a couple of days time. We are renting a car - sorted out accomodation and attractions to visit. Need a couple of good recommendations for good food - 2 days 2 nights. Loves seafood, especially oysters and crabs. Also keen to explore places locals go. Really hope to get some very good suggestions on places and general advise what/where/when (lunch / dinner). Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SandiM's Profile Photo

Re: Foodie trip in Seattle

by SandiM Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Head to the main pier, that's your best choice. Many seafood restaurants to choose from there. I go to Ivarr's, it's cheap and there's both an indoor and outdoor seating option and you get plenty of food (try the garlic vinegar!). Wander through Pike Place Market nearby, that's where the locals and tourists hang out. Watch them 'fling fish' to one another, most amusing.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

For a less touristy take, I would highly recommend the Walrus and Carpenter in Ballard. Good fresh, local, organic etc. No reservations very popular. Go, put your name in and then head down to King's Hardware for a beer.

In fact, Ballard - though it's hipster central - has some good restaurants and is cool for strolling and hanging out.

We also liked via tribunali for pizza.

Emmer and Rye is excellent for happy hour...up in Queen Anne neighborhood.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Most of the good places in Ballard and Fremont are best found by walking rather by driving. Some of them are just doorways into the far reaches of the building. Root Table is one such place.

For seafood I suggest the Ivar's Salmon House at the east end of Fremont. It is arranged a lot like the Native American great long houses that once were all over the northwest.

Maggie's Bluff out in Magnolia is pretty good too. There are actually two restaurants there, and Maggie Bluff's is downstairs and quite hidden. The one upstairs is far more expensive. I've got a review of them on my pages if you want more information.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Also, that reminds me: one of the more unique food experiences in the Seattle area is Blake Island. It is expensive, but unique. Blake Island is one of the few places in Puget Sound that has been kept pretty much in its original state rather than developed extensively. There is a marina there to get to it by boat, and a few buildings to support visitors, and that's it.

They do a pretty extensive show and meal there, all in Coast Salish style (local tribe), including cooking salmon in their unique way. It is certainly not an economically priced option but it is an experience you won't find elsewhere. The island has about 5 miles of hiking trails, etc. on it as well and might be worth taking an extended visit to.

Teatro Zinzani is also a unique Seattle dinner and theatre experience, but it is even more expensive than Blake Island.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines