Seattle Travel Answers

change location

Transportation from train station

by bamatraveler Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Hello,
I will have a group of 13 people arriving from Vancouver to Seattle via the Amtrak Cascades train in June. Arrival at the train station is scheduled for 10:10PM Saturday night. We have an early flight from Seatac at 7AM the next morning. I really don't want to spend money for hotel rooms for just 3 or 4 hours of sleep. So, I am looking for transportation suggestions from train station to Seatac and any other ideas about what to do until time to check in for flights.
Thanks,
Bruce

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • shrimp56's Profile Photo

Re: Transportation from train station

by shrimp56 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

If your group can handle public transportation, the Light Link Rail operates until 1am, midnight on Sunday. The International District Station Bay A is about 1 1/2 blocks from the King St Amtrak Station. Here's the link to that site. soundtransit.org/Schedules/C...">soundtransit.org/Schedules/C...

There aren't any hotels nearby with airport shuttles. Locals may have some better ideas.

And here's the link to the airport map. portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Maps...

Here's the quide to SeaTac from Sleeping in Airports: sleepinginairports.net/usa/s...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Is the train usually on time? Sometimes the trains here are several hours behind. Unless all of your group of 13 are relatively young (but not children) and agree to forgo their sleep for that night, I'd just go ahead and go to a hotel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Not to mention you definitely won't want to "hang out" around the train station. Downtown Seattle (particularly around the station) is super dodgy during the day, never mind overnight.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

grandmaR wrote:

Is the train usually on time? Sometimes the trains here are several hours behind. Unless all of your group of 13 are relatively young (but not children) and agree to forgo their sleep for that night, I'd just go ahead and go to a hotel.

The only train that arrives in Seattle at 10:10 at night is a Cascades train out of Vancouver BC.  It usually isn't too far off schedule because it isn't a long distance train.

When you get your seat assignments in Vancouver BC ask them to give you seats on the water side of the train, if possible. The view of the sun setting behind the Olympic mountains is usually pretty good, and it should be happening about the time you hit the track that runs beside Puget Sound.

As to what to do between 10:10 at night and 7 in the morning, you aren't going to find much of anything open during those hours.  The station closes just after that train arrives.  Stuff like the Space Needle closes at 11 at best, which gives you no time to get from the station to the Space Needle.  There are a few bars and night clubs of questionable repute that will be open until 2 or so, but none of them are ones that I would suggest going to at that hour of the night.

To get to the Link Light Rail Line, you exit the station, cross the dead end street that is right there and the entrance to the station, climb the stairs that is right across the street from the station entrance (you can see all this on Google Street View), walk north to Jackson Street, walk east several blocks. Between the old shell of Union Station and 5th Avenue you will find a set of escalators going down, and that is the entrance to the light rail train tunnel. You need to buy tickets before you go into the tunnel, and the vending machines are on the street level before you get on the escalators.  Make sure you get on the escalator going to the platform on the west side of the tunnel, as the one on the east side is only for trains going north. You want the trains going south.

This is the staircase you need to go up, above the parked cars:

maps.google.com/maps?q=king+...">maps.google.com/maps?q=king+...

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

As one responder already indicated the train from Vancouver is often late. From the Amtrak station on King Street you want to get to the light rail link at Pioneer Square. Some recent changes make it pretty easy to follow. From Pioneer Square to SEA-TAC via the light rail link it is about 20 to 30 minutes. Light rail should be running until about 1 am. First train in the morning from downtown btw is about 5 am. Depending on what airlines you are flying determines how comfortable you might be at the airport trying to rest before your flight. If it was me I would probably just spend the night at the airport lounge waiting for your early flight in the morning.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM

The train from Vancouver is generally on time, there is nothing to hold up the train once it leaves Vancouver, and it will leave on time, as you will clear U.S Border Security at the Pacific Central Station in Vancouver prior to departure. I have ridden this train many times and we have never been late into Seattle

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Yes but there still won't be much to do downtown in Seattle.
    Also I don't know about the Seattle airport in the wee hours of the morning. Will anything there be open (like to eat?)

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

by shrimp56 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I posted the link to sleeping in airports which covers Seattle.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines