Scotland Travel Answers

change location

[Isle of Skye] Portree OK to catch first outgoing train at Kyle of Lochalsh?

by Eoghan.N Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Hello

I'm checking out the ho(s)tels on Isle of Skye for a trip this summer.

Apparently, Portree is more lively than Broadford, but I'm concerned that there won't be a bus early enough to catch the first train that leaves Kyle of Lochalsh for Inverness at 6:22.

It looks like staying in Broadbord is the only choice when riding a bus.

If someone knows the area well, can you confirm that there's no way I can catch that train if staying in Portree?

Thank you.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: [Isle of Skye] Portree OK to catch first outgoing train at Kyle of Lochalsh?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I don't seem to remember seeing any train tracks on the Isle of Skye, so I'm not sure how you are going to catch a train. I think that there was some bus service to Portree from the mainland, but frankly public transportation on / to Skye seemed to be very limited.

That being said; what are you going to do when you get. there? Portree is a small town and to get anywere interesting on Skye, I suspect that car and by foot are really the only options.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

Re: [Isle of Skye] Portree OK to catch first outgoing train at Kyle of Lochalsh?

by IanMacPhail Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Kyle of Lochalsh is just over the bridge from Kyleakin. You`ll probably have to get a taxi.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

maybe you simply take a hotel in Kyle of Lochalsh for the last night, it might be a better and much cheaper solution than a taxi from Broadford or even from Portree.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Good idea by Globetrott as the Kyle of Lochalsh has a few attractions itself

roomfinderscotland.co.uk/map...
    here is a list of accommodation.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM

At that time in the morning you'll not get a bus from Broadford either. Have you tried www.travelinescotland.com ??? That'll give you all the public transport options. For the 06.22 from anywhere on Skye you'll need to use a taxi. Portree to Inverness by bus and train is easily doable later in the day tho'.

• Re: [Isle of Skye] Portree OK to catch first outgoing train at Kyle of Lochalsh?

by Eoghan.N Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Thanks for the help. I booked a hotel in Broadford and will take a cab to get to the station.

• IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

by IanMacPhail Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Enjoy your stay1 :-)

• Re: [Isle of Skye] Portree OK to catch first outgoing train at Kyle of Lochalsh?

by Eoghan.N Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Thanks. Provided it doesn't rain too much, I should bring back a lot of pictures.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Scotland Travel Answer Locations