Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

passport expiring soon

by karystena Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I am planning to fly to England on a UK passport from Canada in March, returning in April. My passport expires in May, which is fine for the UK. But I've heard you need 3 months on your passport to go through Amsterdam. Is this the case even if I am only going to stay in the transit lounge in Amsterdam and catching a plane within a couple of hours? I don't have time to apply for a new passport so I'll have to cancel my trip if so. There are no direct flights unfortunately.

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: passport expiring soon

by HansDK Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You will not pass immigration in Amsterdam.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

If you are not travelling til march you have plenty of time to renew passport. You are aware it can be done at British High Comm in Canada?

Don't want to challenge earlier responder but if Amsterdam is your initial entry into Europe don't you go through full imigration there and as such Dutch rules would apply?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I take you are going to fly back to Canada via Amsterdam? The Canadian government travel advisory makes it clear that your passport will need 3 months validity *after* your date of departure from the Netherlands:

travel.gc.ca/destinations/ne...

as does this Dutch government site:

rsonac.org/schengen-visa/vis...

But you will only be in transit and it may be that some allowances are made for this. None of us are visa officials so I suggest you contact the Dutch Embassy in Canada:

http://ottawa.the-netherlands.org/

and get the official answer. Also contact your airline and ask them (the airline will anyway not allow you to board if your documents are not in order for the flight and arrival point).

I'd want to get a new passport, even if it meant paying extra for the express service (although I think you have time for the ordinary service if you're not travelling until March):

ppt.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?...

• Re: passport expiring soon

by wentbytrain Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

The problem lies in your ''return'' to CN, not going to the UK, IN the EU, going out of CN. For that 2nd flight in april indeed the 3 month rule applies-most likely the airline wont board you with a near expired passpt. ANY passpt should always have enough time to cover the maxcimum allowable (NOT intended) stay int e country to visit.
    But as you say so explicit you use your UK-passpt-do you also have a Canucky one? Would be miles easier to sue that for going ''home''.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

You have plenty of time to get a new passport. I don't know where you live in Canada but there are plenty of direct flights from Canada to the UK, so you could easily avoid a change. You could then apply for a new passport in the UK but it will probably be quicker and less hassle to do so in Canada.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I thinks it depends from where your travel at Schiphol.

Your arrival will be at the international part of the transfer area, but if your connecting flight is from the Schengen transfer area, you will have a passport check.

youtube.com/watch?v=WaPIB9WM...

Although the UK is part of the European Union, it's not a so-called Schengen country, so I think you will be fine and only have to deal with UK immigration at your final destination.

PJ

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 4:59 AM

strange, I always believed the "NumberOfMounts" left on passport is for the Country of destination and when you're direct to your own Country one/two days are enough.
    For sure on way back from Canada you have to go through security because in transfer, so leave canadian whisky and/or iced wine at dutyfree in Canada as those will be confiscated on arrival (liquid 100ml each max 1 liter rule).
    beside this from T2 and T3 (flights from/to U.K. and from/to Canada) and, as you'll not come or go to a Country in Schengen area, you SHOULD NOT go through passport control, nor will you go through customs.
    I cannot assures, you have to check first and to be sure yourself, I remember a transfer's corridor, again, you've to check, things could have been changed for security reason and you've to pass passport control.
    In any case i join the people saying you've plenty of time for new passport and having no stress and/or troubbles, let's say 'that day' the corridor's transfer will be close for unknow reason or there's a red allarm at airport... :(

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM

U.K. is NOT a Country in Schengen area......

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I'm a bit confused about this....my apologies.

Assuming you are not flying out in the first few days of March you may still have time to get a new UK passport in Canada, if you wish:

ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-f...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

sometime they question on the going or the arrival, I have my passport look at on both sides, so better have it renew in time.
    cheers

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

If you live in a place that has a passport issuing office, then you will have lots of time to get a new passport as you can request an urgent issuance. I've done it and it took three days. You can do it personally. Officials have been known to really get their finger out when there is an urgent requirement, provided one presents the problem logically and politely and has all documentation required.

• paulhanson's Profile Photo

by paulhanson Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

If you are transferring airside on arrival from Canada to a flight departing for the UK (non-Schengen country), it is unlikely that an immigration official will look at your passport, although of course you may be requested to show it to security staff as they check departing passengers. If you are travelling "home" with a British passport, the validity is not really an issue. If you are staying in the London area, remember that the passport office in central London issues same-day passports. If you submit your application in the morning, your passport is ready in the afternoon. As you might expect, there is an extra charge for this express service, and you need to telephone beforehand to make an appointment.
    gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgent...

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Easy just to renew the passport, than to hassle the authorities. Why not just do it and get over it? Don't make problems when you can be well prepare in life. Unless you just like the hassle. Some people do and love drama in life.

Cheers tommy x

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If you do not need a visa, you may enter the Netherlands as long as you meet the following conditions:

you have a valid passport;
    you have enough money; (€34 per day);
    you have a bona fide reason for visiting the Netherlands;
    you are not considered a threat to public order, national security or international relations.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Not for UK citizens indeed.

PJ

by karystena Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for the links. Just found out that this may be a problem when I was looking for direct flights from Calgary to Manchester. They don't seem to start up again until May.
    Ottawa is thousands of miles away, and if I mail in my passport to renew it I don't know if I'd get it back in time. Also I won't be going near London, England to renew there. I'll try and find out more, but where I live (way out in the mountains)even to get passport photos done will require 4 hours of driving. And I don't have a Canadian passport, only EU (UK).

by karystena Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks for the links. Just found out that this may be a problem when I was looking for direct flights from Calgary to Manchester. They don't seem to start up again until May.
    Ottawa is thousands of miles away, and if I mail in my passport to renew it I don't know if I'd get it back in time. Also I won't be going near London, England to renew there. I'll try and find out more, but where I live (way out in the mountains)even to get passport photos done will require 4 hours of driving. And I don't have a Canadian passport, only EU (UK).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Read the link above about ways to renew your UK passport whilst you are in the UK. You don't automatically have to go to London.

Why not look at flights Calgary>London? BA fly direct and you can always get the train (or National Express bus) to Manchester.

Or why not fly Calgary>Manchester with a stop in London (Iberia, BA)? The fares for those flights are showing as lower than those for KLM (with the Amsterdam stop).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Agree that there shouldn't be a problem. For UK passport holders entering the Netherlands:

>For stays of up to 3 months your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

But sometimes it helps to talk around issues.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

issues? there is no problems ::)
    EU is EU,,,,happy travels

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines