Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

connecting flights

by yallourn Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Hope someone can help, I am flying in on China Southern at 19:10 hall2 and would like to connect to a flight to Basel with easyjet which is leaving at 21:15 will I have enough time to get through customs pick up luggage work to hall 3 and check in? I have a european passport. I see you can internet check in at easy jet so will do this and hopefully can speed things up.

Thanks
Yalllourn

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: connecting flights

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

At that time of night normally you should be through immigration and bagage pickup in 30 to 45 minutes.

Ryanair normally has checked-in luggage open from 2 hours before scheduled departure time till 40 minutes before scheduled departure time. That gives you roughly a time slot of 1 hour to check your luggage in at Ryanair.

Ryanair closes the gate to the airplane 20 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

Make sure that after bagage check-in you go through gate-pass (print the pass at home and check-in) check and security check and wait at the designated gate.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

BTW If you have time left buy a small bottle of water after the security check.

PJ

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

As you say "pick up luggage", you would clearly have more than hand luggage, and so after landing, then Schengen passport (entry) control, then luggage delivery, THEN Customs (after picking up luggage, obviously, otherwise it would be dead easy to bring in prohibited goods!), you will - even if you have checked yourself in online and so will have boarding pass for second flight - have to go "landside" and queue up for Easyjet bag drop. This assuming that you have separate tickets and that it won't be possible for China Southern to check your bags all the way through to Basel (if they can, you would certainly have no problem).
    Strictly speaking, Schiphol recomments checking in - in your case, dropping bags - 2 hrs before European flights, which you don't quite have, given time needed to get from landing gate to bag drop (schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSch....
    Nevertheless, unless this will be at a very busy period, at Schiphol I think you should be able to get from landing to bag-drop within 45 mins, and another 1h20 should be enough to drop off hold luggage, enter Schengen hall (no passport control, just show boarding card), go through security and get to departure gate.
    But in your position I would check with Easyjet how long before the flight they close "bag drop" - if it were to be 40 mins, you could have a problem. However, as I read this, easyjet.com/en/flying/leapch... , they close CHECK-IN 40 mins before a flight, but since you do bag-drop afterwards, this implies it must go on until later than that - i.e. for your flight you would have to be checked in by 20:35 at the latest, but can still drop off bags immediately after that.
    And frankly, if it were me and I hadn't already committed myself to the EasyJet flight, then unless I could afford to miss it if the worst came to the worst (meaning unexpected overnight stay and presumably new ticket), I would not risk such a short connection.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Jun 9, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Have you also looked at the possibility of China Southern not departing or arriving at scheduled time? Two hours is simply not enough time for this connection, unless you are willing to accept the headaches and extra costs that you will assume if you don't make your connection, Easyjet will be neither sympathetic or helpful to your plight. Their helpfulness will be to tell you to buy a new ticket.

• Re: connecting flights

by wentbytrain Online Now Jun 12, 2012 at 5:10 AM

YVR is VERY right-I often visit S'hol and these Chinese flights very often show delays of 3-4 hrs.
    DO know the strict rules of those budgetflyers.
    BUT; on SAME day you can often go EARLIER if you have a sameday booking and they still have spare seats-thats a wiser plan to follow.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines