Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

transit and security

by snosrap146 Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Hi, I am flying from BHM to Beijing via Schiphol. Will I be able to take duty free liquor, bought airside at Birmingham and appropriately sealed, through any security checks at Schiphol - I have seen reports of drink being confiscated.
Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

Re: transit and security

by yvr Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 6:51 AM

If you must transit through security checks at Schipol you will not be allowed no more than 100ml of liquids, gels, creams or sprays through security. However if you do not need to go through any security at Schipol and stay in the secure area of the airport then this will not be a problem. One example, when flying United Airlines from Vancouver to San Francisco and connecting to another UA flight one does not go through security again, so liquor purchased at duty free at YVR and taken aboard the aircraft in carry-on will not be checked again in SFO if departing from the UA terminal at SFO.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Tax free bought liquors, bought in a tax free shop within the EU, will indeed be properly sealed by the shop and allowed through security checkpoints at other airports within the EU. Don't forget to keep the receipt, if not packed within the sealed bag.

Example: last year, tax free liquor (1 litre) bought at Schiphol was allowed through security checkpoint in Vienna (in the sealed bag), on my way to Kiev (extra EU/extra Schengen).

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 7:22 AM

BHM is Birmingham, Alabama (USA). If such is the case than the answer is indeed NO!
    I thought you meant Birmingham, UK (BHX). Sorry.

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM

No. Buy it at Schiphol.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines