Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

A date in Schipol

by twobodyproblem Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I'm planning to fly from Mumbai, India to JFK, New York (KLM Royal Dutch airlines) and hoping to meet my partner during a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam Schiphol airport. I am a Indian passport holder with a US visa, no Schengen visa at the moment. He is a EU passport holder and planning to buy any random cheap ticket to be able to enter the airport that day. My question is: will this plan work? Will I be able to meet him in the airport or will I be in the non-Schengen part of the airport which he will not be able to access? Is there some other suggestion (other than applying for a Schengen visa) to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: A date in Schipol

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You will be in Transit, and will be kept out of any areas where you have to go through Dutch / European customs and immigration. This means that your partner will have to get into the international departure area; i.e. going somewhere outside of the Schengen area if you hope for a meeting. I strongly suspect that "any random cheap ticket" will not work. Any ticket to get into the part of the airport you will be restricted to will be one for a transcontinental flight.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM

your friend might get a ticket ie to London
    Your flight should leave from gate Exx
    British Airways departs form gate Dxx (maybe Gatwick is cheaper than Heathrow)
    also an Easy Jet [depart from Hxx] flight to Gatwick or Stansted could be fine, this airline should be the cheapest.
    As far I remember after you passed passport control your next control will be at gate so can walk from/to termnals.

• r13's Profile Photo

by r13 Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM

As mentioned above, ticket should be for "non-Schengen" flight, otherwise he will be in completely different terminal. On the other hand that ticket will most likely not be really cheap.

However, there is one more aspect to consider. He should not only buy the ticket, but also check-in for that flight to get boarding pass which allows to enter international zone. Since he would be not flying (i.e. boarding the plane) that would disrupt the departure of that plane since crew would be waiting/looking for him. Passengers on that flight/crew certainly will not be happy about that.

Regular Schengen visa could be difficult to obtain under these circumstances, but Schengen transit visa could be a possibility since you already have your flights arranged, however I have no experience with it.

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Apr 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Why are people always mixing up the concepts of international, transcontinental, immigration, customs etc.

Amsterdam is in Holland which is a Schengen country. The airport is divided in 2 areas: Schengen and non-Schengen areas. To pass from one area to the other you will have to pass immigration/passport control.

Your flight arrives from India (non-Schengen) and your connecting flight departs to USA (non-Schengen), so you will stay in the non-Schengen area during your transit.

As described above your partner can buy a ticket to a non-Schengen country, e.g. UK or Ireland. I guess an easyjet (http://www.easyjet.com/) to Gatwick, Luton or Stansted will be the cheapest.

I will strongly advise your partner to board the flight. Flight tickets are not meant to be a ticket to the airside of the terminal only.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines