Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

Check-in times

by schicked Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM

I would like to arrive (via train) to the airport 2 hours before my international flight departs. Is this usually enough time?? Are there any baggage cut-off times? (for instance, in the US they will not take your bags less than 60 minutes prior to departure).
Thank you so much for your thoughts...

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Check-in times

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 9:56 AM

3 hours is normal for an international flight, but at a quiet day 2 hours should go. I hope you travel outside some rush hours (soccer fans going to the European Championship or weekend holiday travellers).

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Opening and closing of check-in varies from airline to airline, so it is essential to look at the website of your carrier.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Hi,

When extra busy days are expected, it should be announced on the main page of the airport site at the section NEWS: http://www.schiphol.nl/

In the Dutch may holidays, we missed our international flight although we were at the airport more than 2 hours before departure...However, it usually is more than enough to be there 2 hours before! Schiphol is pretty efficient...But check the website!

Cheers
    Dennis

• footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I just left Schipol yesterday for the return trip to New York City. You don't go through the security magnetometers until you reach the GATE! It's the reverse at all the local NYC airports and Copenhagen Kastrup, where you go through the metal detectors First, before you go through Duty Free, and long before you arrive at the gate. and my gate, G08, was a long long walk from the check-in kiosks, so allow a good 2 hours. The rail ride, from Centraal to Schipol, is, literally, 12 minutes, costing 2.3 Euros (a shade under 4 USD)! and it brings you right into the airport proper; you don't need to board some monorail or shuttle bus.

• eenelfje's Profile Photo

by eenelfje Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

2 hours is enough but for flights to the US they advice you to be 3 hours before check in. but 2 hours is ok.

I know that if you travelling to the US, 60 minutes and less before departure they wont let you check in anymore.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines