Schiphol Travel Answers

change location

Connecting Time

by Ziggy86 Online Now Oct 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM

On my upcoming trip I am questioning if this is a safe connection. My arrival in Amsterdam will be at 08:15, coming from the US. It looks like I will need to go throught passport control in Amsterdam, along with claiming baggage and to check-in again for the flight to Munich on a different airline. The connecting flight is scheduled to depart at 11:05. Does this appear to allow enough time for this connection, or shall I consider something later?

Thank You in advance for all your help.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Re: Connecting Time

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Oct 1, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Hi

As major airports go, Schiphol is one of the most efficient from my experience. If your first flight lands on time, then you will probably make your connecting flight. If you land at 8:15, then I'd expect you to have your luggage and have cleared passport control by 9:00, maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later, giving you ample time to check in for your 11:05 flight.

The connection time doesn't leave you with much scope if your first flight arrives late though. With this in mind, you might want to look at a slightly later flight (an hour or so later, perhaps). There's plenty to keep you entertained at Schiphol between flights, so don't worry about having to endure a boring wait for your connecting flight.

It's difficult to know what to recommend. You can never tell when your flight is going to be delayed. I'd probably err on the side of caution and allow myself an extra hour or so.

Good luck!

Jonathan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Oct 2, 2007 at 12:41 AM

If your connecting flight is "allied" with the one you come in on from the US, you can check your baggage through to your final destination, then you will have oceans of time for the connection. Even if you can't do this, then I reckon you have plenty of time. Though yuour plane is scheduled to land at 08.15 it will be at least 15-20 minutes before it arrives at the gate.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Oct 2, 2007 at 9:08 AM

For low cost carriers like Ryan Air you have to go through Immigration & Customs, Check in and go to the pier that takes the longest walk and a security check.

It's all in the same building and there should be enough time if you arrive at the scheduled time.

See our Schiphol pages for more info.

PJ

• janvdvlies's Profile Photo

by janvdvlies Online Now Oct 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM

should be no problem

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines