Satu Mare Travel Answers

change location

Satu Mare from Ukraine

by Shuter Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Hi,

i travel to Ukraine city of Uzhorod (on the UA-SK border) and i would like to travel from there to Satu Mare, but i cant find any train or bus connections, going there on weekends. Could anybody help me?

Great thanks for anything :)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Satu Mare from Ukraine

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM

The best is via Hungary. Go

Uzhgorod-Chop (by any means, for instance, train departing at 4:55, arriving 5:17 - but I guess, you can find more)
    Chop-Záhony-Debrecen connection is not too bad, for instance depart at 6:00, arrive Záhony at 5:17,
    depart Záhony at 5:40, arrive Debrecen at 6:58

Debrecen-Valea Lui Mihai is departing Debrecen 7:12, arriving 9:25. From there, go with the train departing at 12:16, arriving at 13:35.

Given the short distance and many "alternative" options, other options (marshrutkas, shared taxis, busses, etc.) can be faster and cheaper than trains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • taseg's Profile Photo

by taseg Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM

I don't there are any direct trains or buses between Uzhorod and Satu Mare.

If you want to pass directly from Ukraine into Romania you could do something like this:
    - travel by train from Uzhorod to Korolevo (a small town a few km north of the border with Romania);
    - make your way (probably by minibus) from Korolevo to the border station at Diakovo;
    - and finally cross on the Romanian side at Halmeu, from where you can easily get to Satu Mare by train (there are seven or eight direct trains daily and the trip takes just half hour);

Check train timetables here:reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

But it would probably be faster to travel from Uzhorod to one of the cities in north-eastern Hungary and from there catch a bus to Satu Mare.

• GyuriFT's Profile Photo

by GyuriFT Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Indeed, thanks, there are three direct trains from Uzhgorod to Korolevo daily.

1) departing 3:10, arriving 06:38
    2) departing 8:42, arriving 11:17
    3) departing 17:43, arriving 20:26

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

by lotharlerch Online Now Jul 27, 2008 at 1:51 PM

The problem is that the border crossing Djakovo (Ukraine)/Halmeu (Romania) where both the railway and the road are crossing side by side is only open for cargo and not for passengers. I was there myself on 26 Sept. 2000. We could only pass because I was with 3 Ukrainians in an Ukrainian governmental car passing this frontier in an official mission holding a Service Passport. When we arrived at the Ukrainian checkpoint we were told that we are not entitled to cross here because it is for cargo only and only because of our mission we could convince the frontier staff to allow us to cross but for that they had first to get the permission from the commanding central by phone. They got the authorization after about half an hour and let us pass. And under all the time we did not see any other car passing the frontier except some trucks. And two cargo trains were passing the frontier as well. When I left Romania after this mission via Valea lui Mihai the officer of the passport control was wondering very much that I entered Romania via Halmeu. Even he did not believe that it was possible.

• potemptkin's Profile Photo

by potemptkin Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Hello i travel this route regularly through Halmeau and it is open to all nationals on foot or by car. The train link is difficult but you will manage by bus if you can work out the times.

• HaythamH's Profile Photo

by HaythamH Online Now Sep 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

salut prietenul meu
    Locuiți într-o zonă de frontieră cu Ucraina și tatăl meu este acolo în căutarea pentru cineva care intră în România speră să-mi dea cineva care lucreaza la a fi admis pentru o sumă de bani.
    mulțumesc

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Satu Mare