Sasaguri Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

Nanzo-In Temple Buddha

by SandiM Online Now Jan 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Has anyone heard of this temple in Fukuoka area (Sasaguri)? I'm interested in travelling here in November to shoot some photos of the nehanzo (reclining) buddha--one of the nicer looking buddhas I have ever seen. Is it a hard walk to get here or is there public transport from the train station? Photo-taking is ok? The website I found is all in Japanese, and doesn't translate too well online using normal translations. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Nanzo-In Temple Buddha

by NweNwe Online Now Mar 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Yes, I visited last 22nd March while I was in Kyuushu. It's about 8 stations away from Hakata Station, a gate way to Fukuoka and Kyuushu. You have to get off at Kidonansoinmae station. It's made of bronze and is said to be world's largest bronze reclining Buddha image. The nanzoin temple received sacred ashes of Buddha from Myanmar Buddhist Congress in 1988 and constructed the image and completed the construction in 1995. I am a Myanmar student who is studying in Ritsumeikan University in Shiga. There you can have bilingual pamphlet. On the way to the Buddha image is also peaceful. I hope you travel there and enjoy your best.
    NNA

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SandiM's Profile Photo

Re: Nanzo-In Temple Buddha

by SandiM Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thank you very much for your kind reply! Did you enjoy it very much there? Was it worth it to go? I am asking since I do photography and many of my clients enjoying Buddha pictures. Since this one is so unusual, I wondered if it was good enough to go there. Again, many thanks! :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines