Saratov Travel Answers

change location

Travel to Saratov

by Altergott Online Now Feb 3, 2004 at 2:40 PM

Hoping to retrace route of ancestor that in 1766 went from Germany to Denmark as colonist than to Donhof and Schwed Russia via Cronstadt, St Petersberg and Saratov. Could anyone advise me as to cost and other tips concerning travel between Frankfurt and St Petersberg, St Petersberg and Saratov, and Saratov and Frankfurt. By air and rail. Thanks Harvey

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Re: Travel to Saratov

by rogan Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 12:08 AM

The Volga Deutsch are still around Samara and Saratov - there is a large community that somehow survived the war and the pogroms. Just outside Saratov there are several villages where "German" is still spoken. There are trains from St P to Vologda, Kazan, Samara and Saratov. But I don't know if you can get there direct. If the route is not too important you could take a train from St P to Moscow then either fly from Moscow Domededovo airport direct to Saratov (the airport is 10 mins from the city centre) Or you could take the train from Moscow Kazansky station to Saratov. I flew to Saratov (horrible little unsafe plane) so I took the train back to Moscow 3 months later.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by rogan Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 12:08 AM

The Volga Deutsch are still around Samara and Saratov - there is a large community that somehow survived the war and the pogroms. Just outside Saratov there are several villages where "German" is still spoken. There are trains from St P to Vologda, Kazan, Samara and Saratov. But I don't know if you can get there direct. If the route is not too important you could take a train from St P to Moscow then either fly from Moscow Domededovo airport direct to Saratov (the airport is 10 mins from the city centre) Or you could take the train from Moscow Kazansky station to Saratov. I flew to Saratov (horrible little unsafe plane) so I took the train back to Moscow 3 months later.

by rogan Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 12:10 AM

There are direct flights Frankfurt to Samara. You could then take the train Samara to Saratov. Or even take a river boat from Samara to Saratov - that could be interesting

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Travel to Saratov

by Pablos_new Online Now Feb 9, 2004 at 4:14 AM

Hi, Many of Germans from Saratov were deported to the Northen Kazakhstan in the beginning of WWII. So, be ready to trace to the east in your jorney. In Kazakhstan Germans live in Karaganda region (even now, though 80-90% moved to Gernamy in last 10 years). My friend from Heidelberg was born in a village Mikhailovka in Kazakhstan. Recently his classmates found him and it appeared that 60-70% of the class from Mikhailovka live in Germany now. Cheers, Pavel

by wafo Online Now Feb 10, 2004 at 12:56 AM

Hi, My name Alla and couldn't pass your message. The reason for that is - origianally I am from saratov (I was born there and lived 21 years), now I moved to S-Petersburg and live here. I know that in Saratov use to be direct flights from Frankfurt (a few times a week), also in summer time there are direct flights from SPb. By train you may go through Moscow (about 17 hours) or SPb (about 36 hours). If you need any information or advise, please send me message to wafo@mail.ru. My best wishes, Alla

• Yarusa's Profile Photo

Re: Travel to Saratov

by Yarusa Online Now May 16, 2004 at 5:49 AM

Hello, My name is Natalia. I'm from Saratov. Here you can find a time table of Saratov airport with time and prices http://www/saravia.ru/timetable_en.aspx I work as a guide here. If any questiions you are wellcome. Natalia

• Yarusa's Profile Photo

Re: Travel to Saratov

by Yarusa Online Now May 17, 2004 at 12:15 PM

Dear Harvey, You can find schedule of Pulkovo airport in St.Petersburg to start from Frankfurt/Main to St.Petersburg by plane here: eng.pulkovo.ru/tickets/sched... . There is no direct flight from St.Petersburg to Saratov but you can find a flight to Samara here: eng.pulkovo.ru/schedule/dome..., and then by ship along the Volga river to Saratov. It would be an exiting trip. You can also start from St.Petersburg to Saratov by train ¹ 132 from Moskovskiy railway station of St.Pb. It arrives to Saratov at 7.30 a.m. Don't forget to check for the latest information as the schedule is expected to be changed from time to time. Best wishes Natalia

by DenverDave Online Now Oct 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM

We returned from a trip to Moscow, Saratov and St. Petersburg in Sept, 2009. We traveled by train between the cities (16 hours Moscow to Saratov, 24 hours to St. Petersburg, 8 hours back to Moscow). I highly recommend that mode of travel - it's a relaxing and interesting way to get around! The trains we took were overnight, so we avoided a hotel cost for 3 of our 14 nights in Russia.

We used a 1st class cabin from Moscow to Saratov (2 beds in our cabin), and business class from Saratov to St. Pete (4 beds in the cabin - we shared beer and vodka with the 2 very polite Russians in our cabin. One of them even saved my bacon when a policeman was having a stern discussion with me about taking a picture in a train station).

It's less expensive if you have a trustworthy Russian friend who can buy the train tickets for you - here is what we paid:550 for two 1st class tickets from Moscow to Saratov - purchased from the US.300 for two sets of business class tickets from Saratov to St. Petersburg and then to Moscow a couple of days later - purchased by my Russian friend!

On the train, you meet interesting people in your train car (I know 5 Russian words, but many of the passengers spoke a some English), you see interesting scenery, you sleep with the comforting click-clack, click-clack through the night, and the train stations are always right in the middle of each city, so you depart from and arrive at a convenient location. The cabins are very well outfitted with comfortable beds (the upper two fold down in a cabin with 4 beds), a light for each bed, storage room, and we even had a TV on one trip! Something you may want to know - although the cabins are very comfortable, the bathrooms - not so much. Russian bathrooms in general are not as nicely outfitted and clean as those in the US, and the train bathrooms fit the pattern. They close the bathrooms when you get near a station because when you flush it goes straight outside to the track!

Saratov is a wonderful city to visit - completely different from the showplace cities like Moscow and St. Petersburg, but the people are warm and helpful and worth visiting. I highly recommend riding trains between cities - that added a rich and fascinating set of experiences to our trip!

By the way, we also visited the nearby village of Frank (now Medveditsa) where my ancestors lived, spent time with a wonderful German woman there who moved back to Frank from Siberia after being driven out in 1941. There’s much more information about the Volga Germans here: http://www.ahsgr.org/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Saratov