Sarajevo Travel Answers

change location
Nijntje1973's Profile Photo

Sarajevo on Sunday 9 October 2011

by Nijntje1973 Online Now Oct 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hi All :)

I'm going to be in Sarajevo on Sunday 9 October, travelling from Dubrovnik. Would that be a bad day to be there? Ideally I would love to have a drink and experience some nightlife with the locals, but it seems a lot of places are closed on a Sunday. Should I stay the night at all or should I move onto Novi Sad (I think there's an overnight bus from Lukavica stop) on the same day, if nothing is going on on a Sunday evening?

Your input will be much appreciated! :)

J

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Re: Sarajevo on Sunday 9 October 2011

by MacedonianUK Online Now Oct 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sarajevo is lively on Sunday too. Take a strol down BASH CHARSHIJA the market.. Please, please, please do stay atleat one night in Sarajevo.
    I would sugest atleast 3 but I do not know how much time you have. On the way from Dubrovnik you simply MUST stop for day and night in MOSTAR!!!
    www.libertasdubrovnik.hr will have timetables for bus to Mostar and Sarajevo from Dubrovnik..
    There is soooooo much to see and do in both cities is tis a shame not to stop and enjoy. From Srpsko sarajevo /lukavica there are lots of buses to Belgrade and Novi Sad. Also train started running from Sarajevo to Belgrade. it is overnight train, and cheap so that might be another good thing..
    www.bas.rs for timetables..
    Btw, whaterver you do in Sarajevo or Mostar, please find KAFANA with Sevdalinke (live music) you simply have to experiance that!!!! Bosna is renoun for Sevdalinke!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nijntje1973's Profile Photo

by Nijntje1973 Online Now Oct 4, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Dear Both,

Thank you so much for taking time to give me some ideas! Mace, I only have 8 days. :(((( Now I'm seriously considering to skip Novi Sad all together and go straight to Hungary from Sarajevo. Is there a bus/train to Budapest/Szeged from there?

Fugu, I guess I'll leave Serbia for the next time. I have seen all but one comments telling me to go to Belgrade instead. It looks like I don't really have time at all now...

Thanks again for the comments! :) I will try to write my experience this time (I've been to many places but always too lazy to write after the trip. Selfish of me!)

J

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Oct 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM

To get to Budampest/sezged you have to go via Belgrade. So stop atleast for a day or few hrs in Belgrade, atleast take look at KALEMEGDAN fortress where Danube-Sava rivers meet. You will enjoy it.
    Leave the lugage at the bus7train station, cross the street and walk up Balkanska St, you will end up At Moskva Hotel (it is an well known arhitectural fixture) from there across the road is Palata Albania, and Knez Mihajlova (famous pedestrian st, simmilar to Ohford St meet Covent Garden) on the bottom of it is Kalemegdan Park and Forthress. Once you took your walk, just get out of the park on take street car #2 or 5 which will take you directly back at the Bus/train station. Whole walk can be as little as 2 hrs but if you want you can spend all day.
    There are noumetous buses and trains (I suggest train) to Budampest.. For best option you have to contact our resident train expert George aka GuyrFT...
    ( days to see dubrovnik, Mostar, Sarajevo, Belgarde are more than OK. Shure I suggest to take 2 weeks , but 8 will work...

• Nijntje1973's Profile Photo

by Nijntje1973 Online Now Oct 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Dear Both,

I cannot thank you enough for all this useful information! I will certainly have another look and decide what to do..perhaps taking all the info I have and decide when I get there! I heard October is not too busy so should not have problem finding hostel, if I decide to stay somewhere.

Thank you once again!

J

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines