Sapporo Travel Answers

change location

Sapporo Travel

by gsuyen Online Now Jul 20, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I am will be staying in Sapporo in mid Aug 2010. The accom. arranged by my host is at Hotel Royton Sapporo. I would like to know whether it is possible to access public transportation to places of interest such as:
Tanukikoji Shopping Street
Sweet Factory Outlets at Mitsui Park
Central Wholesale Market
Ishiyiya Chocolate Factory
Susukino
Historical Village? Is this worth visiting?

As this is a business trip, I am unable to sign up for the Chuo bus sight-seeing trips and would need to rely on public transport.
I would appreciate if someone can advise me of a website showing map of Sapporo, that outlines the location of my hotel to the abovementioned places.
many thanx.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Sapporo Travel

by dru46 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 6:17 AM

I find that Google Maps does a good job laying things out on the map. You can click on the more button and select "Transit". It will give you the subway map. The street cars and JR lines are already on the map. To give you a better idea of things in a smaller picture, you can go to Sapporo's own website:

welcome.city.sapporo.jp/engl...

Your hotel, if it's the Royton Sapporo that's next to Odori (I had a problem when another hotel had an annex building that was not that close to the main building) is very close to everything. If you type "Royton Sapporo", it should point out where it is in Sapporo.

In terms of getting to those places, the Central Wholesale Market is best to be accessed by subway. I went there before, at the end of the day, and it wasn't interesting (5pm or later). It might be good in the morning though, but by late afternoon, don't expect much. It isn't really close to the hotel though.

Susukino is nice. It's interesting to walk around and it's not too far from where you're staying. I'd suggest walking there along Odori Park, which is only a block from the hotel. You mentioned the Susukino Historical Village, but I don't know anything by that name.

The Tanukikoji Shopping Street runs a few blocks from your hotel too. It's not too far, but you'd best to ask the hotel staff for directions as it's difficult for me to say here without a map between us.

If you want to go to the Mitsui Outlet Park, it's in Kitahiroshima. It's about 40 minutes by bus from Sapporo Station. While I personally wouldn't go there, if you really want sweets, you can go. If you need any chocolate or other "sweet gifts", it's easy to buy them at the airport. They have dozens of shops selling everything you need. Very few things aren't offered in the airport. If you have the time, I'd also suggest a side trip to the Chitose Outlet Mall. Minami Chitose Station is next to the outlet mall and they have a free shuttle to the airport. This is only if you have time as there isn't really anything special here. You can probably find cheaper things back home as most of the stuff is imported.

The Ishiya Chocolate Factory is actually called "Shiroikoibito Park". It's pretty simple to get there. Go to the closest subway station to the hotel and go to the final stop (Miyanosawa). I'm headed to Sapporo in September and might make a trip out to see it, but unlikely. I'm happy to just buy the sweets at the airport. :D

shiroikoibitopark.jp/english...

Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines