Sapa Travel Answers

change location

Tet in Sapa

by J21 Online Now Oct 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM

I'm planning a trip to Sapa during the Tet Holiday period (14th to 17th Feb 2010), is it advisable as it's a holiday season? Are the markets in Sapa open during this time of the year?

Would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • hientonkin's Profile Photo

Re: Tet in Sapa

by hientonkin Online Now Oct 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM

There will be no market during this time cause people off for Tet.
    If you want to find a less touristy Sapa, then it's good time.But to see colourful tribes walking at the main streets in Sapa, it's not a good time at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Tet in Sapa

by Goretti3 Online Now Oct 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I was also planning to be in Sa Pa and hoped to visit the Lao Cai market on the 15th February so your post has been very useful. I would still like to go to this area during this week, do you know will everything be closed, will it still be possible to meet the people in the surrounding villages. We could leave it to go on 18th Feb instead, would this be better? Our time will be limited as we just have 15 nights in Vietnam all together and hope to cover a lot of ground.

by D_Lily Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 1:36 AM

The colorful ethnics' Tet holiday in Sapa is celebrated in the same time with Kinh people but longer. Therefore, if there are any ethnic's markets, they will not be held.

But you can see how the ethnic minority people spend their Tet holiday around the town.

Moreover, you still can take part in the normal market in the town from 15th Feb I think.

The best reason for visit Sapa at that time is the fabulous scenery. And it will be not the touristic time.

Hope you had a nice trip to Sapa.

• zephry88's Profile Photo

Re: Tet in Sapa

by zephry88 Online Now Jan 8, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Hi... I'm planning to go Sapa from 15 Feb - 18 Feb too. But it falls on their TET holiday. The hotel manager does not encouraged us to travel during their TET as the tour may not be well taken as compared to normal days.

by Dinahbean Online Now Sep 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I read a book about it called Inside out and back again. It explained all about the Tet holiday. It is probably really interesting to be their at the time it takes place.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines