Sanur Travel Answers

change location

Denpasar to Sanur (Bali Hyatt)

by ultra_mao Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 7:16 AM

Hi,

How far is Denpasar Airport to Sanur? What options do we have in terms of land transportation from the airport to the hotel (Bali Hyatt)? And roughly how much does it costs?

Regards,
Jenny

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Chase&Rich's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Denpasar to Sanur (Bali Hyatt)

by Chase&Rich Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Hi Jenny,
    My husband and I have been to Bali twice and loved it. Here is a link for a map of the island:
    http://www.baliguide.com/bali_map.html

For travel, there are taxis available at the airport and hotels. It's been about five years, but I think it was around10. I could be way off, maybe its20 now with higher gas costs. Hopefully someone who has been there more recently has a better answer.

I highly recommend NOT renting a car. They have road rules that probably take a life time to learn. For instance, local custom rules which way you go on a round-a-bout or rotary intersection. Some are clockwise, some are counter clockwise! Yikes. When our driver went straight through a red light, he said the red was for turns. Sometimes there are baskets with chickens or roosters in them, in the middle of the street! Or, you'll have a pile of sand, right in your lane, with out any warning or time to change lanes. Take a taxi. :)

We also became friendly with our driver from our first tour and then hired him directly, letting him use his own car. He was so grateful for the work and spoke English very well. It's been a few years, but back then,30 US was about a month's salary, and when we gave that to him for a days worth of driving and sightseeing, he couldn't stop thanking us. "I thank you, my family thanks you." He gave us his number and we called him for any other trips we could think of or he could suggest.

Sanur is a slightly older tourist area than Nusa Dua, which has a guard gate for entry into the entire resort area, and many lovely hotels. I believe the dollar is still strong there and you get a lot for your money. I wouldn't book too many nights at any one place (unless it is part of a air and hotel inclusive deal you have going) as you can negotiate quite readily there. They have far more hotels than visitors right now. I am not suggesting negotiating too hard as they really could use the money, but you may be able to get a lovely upgrade for a fare rate. For instance, at one hotel we stayed in Jimbaran Bay, they gave us the presidential suite for the price of a regular room. It was lovely with a spa tub, with a glass divider that offered us a lovely view of the bay. They apprecited our business at the bar and restaurant and that we used their spa services.

Jimbaran Bay is lovely for a sunset dinner. We went to one of the many 'restaurants' which are really a fish market with a palm roof. From the street, you enter their area, pick your fish, and have a seat on the beach, toes in the sand. They will bring you beer (wine and liquor is quite expensive on the island as it is all imported) or water or fresh coconut water (my fav). Then they start bringing you food, a vegetable like spinach or swiss chard, which is from the rice fields, also rice and a salad, then your fish. We always shared a fish or shrimp dinner as it was plenty of food. Oh, and so delicious. They grill the fish using the dried coconut husks from the aforementioned drink! It makes a lovely 'wood' for a delicously smoked/grilled seafood.

We also stayed in Ubud, a jungle area inland a bit (about an hours' drive from Jimbaran near the monkey forest). We stayed at Ubud Sari, a health resort walking distance to town. Loved it! We recommend the air conditioned bungalow even though you don't need air conditioning. The advantage is that the room is sealed and you'll have fewer bugs when you come in at night. It's not that bad, but if you are squeamish, then stay at a true resort. Ubud Sari offered breakfast at your balibengang or the front porch of your individual bungalow (vegan or ovo - fresh eggs from the free range chickens), they also have a full restaurant, massage, sauna, cold dip pool, and colonics available. We stayed about a week there, and truly enjoyed it.

We would walk in to town from the spa, watch movies at one of the restaurants, or see the local bands.

Dogs are every where, you do have to make your way past them all. Most are fine and ignore humans, but if you feel some are more threatening, just keep a kind vibe, friendly voice, and don't make eye contact, and keep walking past their area. (Thailand has friendlier dogs, probably because they treat them kindlier, but the Balinese, I think, consider them more of a nuisance and treat them as such. American kindness to animals is a bit foreign.

Made J is a great steel guitar player, who is sometimes in town when not touring the world. As you get the vibe there, you'll learn that each night of the week, a different 'bar' is the hot spot (all two streets worth). The movies are shown in a two story restaurant near the soccer field. Upstairs they have 'beds' with breakfast or bed trays, and you order your food and drink, and watch a movie! A hoot.

Hope this helps!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Denpasar to Sanur (Bali Hyatt)

by danieltr63 Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM

denpasar to sanur around 20-25 minutes depends on the traffic. price with airport taxi (its the only official transport at the airport) is RP60-70.000/car. You can check the list at the back of the taxi counter. Turn right once you get out from the arrival hall and get the taxi there. welcome to bali and enjoy your holiday (shakeelaholidays@yahoo.com)

• RE: Denpasar to Sanur (Bali Hyatt)

by unichan Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 11:40 PM

You better say it Ngurah Rai Airport which is the only airport that Bali has. It's only around 20-25 minutes to Sanur depends on the traffic but you will pass a by pass street so traffic jam isn't really a problem. You can headed to the hotel by taxi which cost max. IDR 100,000 or about US$10

• stedeb's Profile Photo

RE: Denpasar to Sanur (Bali Hyatt)

by stedeb Online Now Jun 16, 2006 at 10:31 PM

As soon as you come out of the airport turn right there is a sign saying Taxi there is a booth with set prices you pay and go with the driver. It is not very expensive.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines