Santorini Island Travel Answers

change location

Fira, Oia or Akrotiri?

by Izzah Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Hi, I'll be in Santorini for 5 nights in June. Which part is best recommended for honeymoon? Fira, Oia or Akrotiri? We are looking for nice hotel with a view. Anyone could help? =)

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Fira, Oia or Akrotiri?

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Hi

We stayed at Imorovegli, which is between the two other areas, and within walking distance of Fira (15mins) and possinly Oia if you are feeling energetic. Tne walks are lovely because the scenery is so great.
    We stayed at Irini Villas, which was perfect, and has the best island views

Have a look at my review here:

Irini Villas: "A Lucky Find in Santorini" - Santorini Island Hotel Tip by lynnehamman

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Yes I can vouch for Irinis villas - i stayed at the owners other cheaper hotel in the street behind the main part of Fira but took note of the lovely spot of her advertised Irinis villas was in when walked past.

Its all quite close, all beautiful and after the first couple of days Id recommend to get a car and just drive around the other beautiful parts of the island

1 member found this helpful

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Fira is the island's social/commercial center with more shops, galleries, restaurants, clubs and bars than anywhere else on the island. It's also where all the cruise ship passengers come ashore so it gets really crowded.

Firostefani is just 15 minutes' walk from Fira but it's quiet.

Oia is the most beautiful and romantic village with lots of shops, galleries and restaurants, but there are only a few mellow bars and cafes for nightlife. Oia is 7 miles from Fira on the north end of the island.

Akrotiri is fairly isolated and there are very few shops and restaurants there. You'll need a rental car or scooter for maximum mobility if you stay there. It's also about 7 miles from Fira on the south end of the island.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I forgot: If you want hotel recommendations tell me which village you prefer and what your maximum daily room budget will be, in EURO.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Lee is an expert about Santorini, follow his suggestions.

but check also lynnehamman suggestion, it seems she stayed in a hotel with great view, its located on nice spot (at Imerovigli, not really far from Fira) and on the low price range for the area.

1 member found this helpful

• konstas's Profile Photo

by konstas Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

If you like quiet and less people choose Oia. If you want to feel people around you choose a romantic hotel just outside Fira.Firostefani Imerovigli....I prefer Oia because is more elegant but you need to have transportation.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Oia for sure!

• janetanne's Profile Photo

by janetanne Online Now May 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If you want something very special, and if your budget is at the high end, I recommend the Majestic Hotel in Fira. It is a new and very luxurious hotel overlooking the caldera. If, your budget is middle range and you prefer the unique experience that the many cave houses offer, I would suggest looking for something in Imirovigli. There are so many beautiful and comfortable places in Imirovigli that would be perfect for a honeymoon.
    Everyone seems to have his or her favourite spot on Santorini, which only proves that the entire island is something special! Congratulations on your marriage.

by janetanne Online Now May 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

by brotherleelove Online Now May 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I disagree about the Majestic, although it is a nice-looking hotel. The main road heading south out of Fira towards the ferry port is right in front of the hotel meaning from early morning until late at night there will be a lot of traffic noise. You'd be a long walk from all that Fira has to offer, probably at least a mile. As for the caldera view, you have to cross the road to see it without vehicles zooming in and out of your line of sight. This is a photo of the hotel showing the location and how the rooms actually face away from the caldera: hotel-majestic.gr/media/1836...

by lynnehamman Online Now May 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM

mindcrime wrote:
    Lee is an expert about Santorini, follow his suggestions.

but check also lynnehamman suggestion, it seems she stayed in a hotel with great view, its located on nice spot (at Imerovigli, not really far from Fira) and on the low price range for the area.

Thanks Mindcrime-  yes, I loved Irini Villas..........the view was spectacular and what we loved about it was that is kind off 'midway' between the other places  eg we could easily do the clifftop walk to Fira.  Very good value too.

by lynnehamman Online Now May 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

by janetanne Online Now May 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Leonardo DeCaprio has stayed at the Majestic Hotel...I suppose he was not happy with this beautiful hotel...everyone has their own individual likes and dislikes.
    I was just in Santorini, and I visited the Magestic...even though there is a main road in front of the hotel, there is not noise inside and there are views of the Caldera from rooms. Not all are facing the back side of the hotel. Such luxury hotels offer more than just 'views.' There is privacy, and super service as well as spa and excellent cuisine on offer.
    Not everyone wants to stay in small, damp cave houses that you have to walk down thirty narrow and steep stairs morning and night in the heat of the day, all the while lugging heavy luggage. If you are young, or have not issues with walking, then go for the many options on the caldera. If you are older and suffer from arthritis or other walking disabilities, then you must be aware of the reality that most rooms on the caldera are problematic when it comes to getting to them.
    Just saying.
    We stayed in a cave house, which was an inexpensive option. We got what we paid for and the view was magnificent...BUT, IF I HAD THE money, I would consider other, less tiring options. (anyone who can afford to stay at the Majestic, will not have a problem with being 1 mile from all the noise of Fira!!! They will have a car and will easily go where ever they want.)

Santorini, is such a diverse and complex island, that if I were going for the first time, I would go in low season, rent a middle priced room and then I would explore other options when I was there. That way, I would see first hand what I like and what I can afford.
    Understandably, most people must rely on the often misleading photos from a web site..and hopefully our VT member's unbiased information that we try to provide.

Finally, no matter where you stay in Santorini, you will probably want to explore the island. The easiest way to do this, is by renting a small car or motor bike. I rented a car and we visited all the important and nice places on the island. We especially liked the beach restaurants and the beach at Kamari, only a 20 minute drive from Fira.

Enjoy your holiday and please, let us know where you finally stayed and how you liked it! Greetings from sunny Greece.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santorini Island