Santorini Island Travel Answers

change location
sweet_sentiments's Profile Photo

distance between oia and akrotiri

by sweet_sentiments Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

hi,

my husband and i are planning a mediterranean cruise and one of the stops is santorini...we will be stopping in santorini only for 8 hours...

now, i want to go visit oia and he wants to see akrotiri...is it logistically possible to do both?

how far are they from each other?
and how's september weather in greece?

thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: distance between oia and akrotiri

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Your ship will probably dock in the bay and tender you to Fira. Take the gondola up, not the donkeys unless you come prepared to really do some thorough laundry on board ship.

You've got a bit of a delima, but not a major one depending on how much time you plan for each location. Akrotiri is about 26 KM from Oia the bus to Oia is quite good unless you take a taxi or use a ship tour.

I'd suggest looking into the local bus or using a taxi to cover both and still have a bit of time to explore Fira as well. You will probably miss the sunset from Fira depending on when the ship sails.

The small shop at the entrance to Oia has, or used to have a good selection of local wines which I found to be quite good.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Santorini is not a large island. You should have no problem visiting both. When we were there we could see the cruise ships unloading the passengers into boats - they arrange the lift up to the island too,
    Distance between two villages is 26km

2 members found this helpful

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oia and Akrotiri are approximately 15 miles apart. You will come ashore below Fira which is approximately in the middle between the two. If you rent a car you can see both. You can also hire a taxi but it will cost much more in the long run. When you get ashore you have to take the cable car up the cliff. PLEASE don't ride the poor abused donkeys. When you exit the cable car building turn to the left and walk about 100 yards to the end of that lane. Turn right and you'll see just ahead of you a short flight of steps on the left. Walk down those steps and out along that lane to the main road. You'll see several rental car agencies right there. Oia is uphill to the right 7 miles and Akrotiri is 7 miles to the left ( for Akrotiri stay close to the cliff with the sea on your right shoulder and you'll be going in the right direction).

Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required, for $20 plus a photo fee if you don't bring 2 passport photos with you.

This map of the island will come in handy: http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

• lynclarke's Profile Photo

by lynclarke Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Brotherleelove is the "expert" expeert. Whatever he says is right!!! Drive carefully!

Be the first to rate this answer!

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Correction: "Oia is uphill to the LEFT................."

Sorry for my confusion.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I hired a car for only 6-7- hours and managed to get around to see a lot in that time - totally recommend it, though I did all my walking around stuff in Fira the evening and morning before picking up a car.

You could do the walk along the path around Fira for those famed views and a quick visit to the Archeology museum in an hour or two if you hurry and then head off...I got a rental car from one of the several rental car firms just handy to the centre of Fira for a reasonable price and the manager was happy to take me down to my ferrry at the end of the rental as a normal service for customers

- Oia is very beautiful, Santorini was a beautiful place to see!

• sweet_sentiments's Profile Photo

by sweet_sentiments Online Now May 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

thank you for all your replies! they are all very helpful.

there's just one more answer that i'm waiting for someone to answer...how's the weather in greece in september?

by brotherleelove Online Now May 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

September weather is excellent, mellow and warm but not hot. The sea is perfect for swimming as it has been warming up all summer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santorini Island