Santiago de Cuba Travel Answers

change location

A night out in Santiago de Cuba City?

by jonnyc1st Online Now Dec 6, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Hi, I am best man to my brother who will be marrying in Cuba in early July 2008. I am trying to organise a stag night for him and perhaps 8 other friends. We'd like to eat some good food, maybe see a show (tropicana perhaps) and drink some good rum and dance. we're not looking for anything too crazy, just a fun night that will give us all an insight into life in the city.
also if anyone has any ideas of a fun group activity or place of interest for the day time, please let me know.
does anyone have any ideas? or perhaps a good website to visit. cool night clubs etc?
thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: A night out in Santiago de Cuba City?

by Terry253 Online Now Dec 14, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Best Cuba website cuba-junky.com

also google salsapower.com and go to their Santiago page

for monthly music listing google egrem santiago de cuba

re good food in Cuba: Now there's an interesting thought! I guess Hotel Melia Santiago (the only hotel in town that approaches first class) would be the best bet. they have several restaurants. More interesting would be a "palador" but they change all the time. you should ask around when you are there. I seem to remember a nice rooftop one in one of the streets just behind the Cathederal but I don't remember the name.

during the day, you could visit the Moncada Barracks, not a bunch of laughs but very interesting.
    or El Castillo fort - not much going on here but good if you are big on forts.
    or El Cobre - a 45 min. taxi ride to Cuba's most holy site - good for tacky religious souvenirs.
    or organise a couple of hours of salsa lessons. according to Cuban law (as I understand it) you will need to be staying at a hotel in order to do this legally. you should ask for Cuban dance partners (young ladies of course) for each of you. Expect to pay about US$20 (equivalent) each per hour but for a group you should get a better rate. Great dance teachers are to be found at the dance group Folklorico Cutumba. Maybe your hotel or the tourist office could put you in touch. Please be aware that these girls are highly respected professional dancers and are not jineteras.

for night life
    start with a few mojitos on the terrace of the Casa Grande Hotel overlooking Parque Cespedes.
    Go over the road to La Casa de la Trova, Herredia Street, a must!
    then 200 metres down the road Artex dance bar,
    finally, try a hot, sweaty little dance bar called Casa de las Tradiciones, about 10 minute walk behind the Cathederal - normally a great mix of locals and tourists with loads of character.

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santiago de Cuba