Santiago de Cuba Travel Answers

change location

Travel to Cuba by sea

by cdo Online Now Jun 3, 2003 at 4:55 PM

Hi to all, I would like to get to Cuba by sea, possibly from the Dominican Republic or Haiti. Is this possible? Thanks to all for your help, CDO

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • sundancekid's Profile Photo

Re: Travel to Cuba by sea

by sundancekid Online Now Jun 4, 2003 at 12:14 AM

Hi CDO, like to do the same thing later this year, would be also interested in any answers on this topic. Thnx, René

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • REYNALDOPICHARDO's Profile Photo

Re: Travel to Cuba by sea

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 8:07 PM

The answer to your question is pending as to what type of vessel are you thinking of using on this trip. But it'll be most likely yes you can, always that you arrenge to hit cuban waters while there's daylight and don't carry weapons of large caliber, say AR-15 or assault types, handguns and shotguns are not to bring any suspicion on you, it's a sad true, since many mercenaries and Cuban-exiled operatives do and try to penetrate Cuba on a regular basis, if you happen to be a US citizen, your passport will not be stamped as it's the norm in all countries to enter, since they know that the US gov, could try to impose sanctions against those that do visit the island in lieu of the Embargo. I took a trip on a huge Catamaran some 2 years back, we departed from Puerto Plata,Dominican Republic, and had a great time with the gusty winds in the caribbean, one thing to be very careful about: the weather!!!!! it's merciless when raw, we hit an small sea storm about some 20 miles off Santiago de Cuba, and had a tough time with the sails, lucky for us this ship had some powerful turbines, and we made it safely to the marina, after some green and blue faces!!LOL Make sure your ship is in A+ condition, repairs are not to par to the states when it comes to boats in Cuba, and a tad expensive as well, we had to wait for some off the shelve spares in the states, up to a week in Cuba to arrive! But the trip is just something you must try at least once!!! Dolphins will surround your ship almost to the remaining of your trip, I think they love the ones with faster speeds than others.

• Re: Re: Travel to Cuba by sea

by Wild-bill Online Now Jun 14, 2003 at 2:57 PM

No scheduled ships from Anywhere . www.nashtravel.com has flight info

Re: Re: Travel to Cuba by sea

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 14, 2003 at 3:25 PM

Ships are avaliable for rental in the Dom. Rep.!!!!!!!!! I know because I was born there and rent the boats there as well! Arturo

by sundancekid Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 1:24 AM

Hello. I made a little mistake in my reply on the original question.... I'd like to do the same thing... but THE OTHER WAY AROUND.... Any info on that?? Thanks a lot! René

by REYNALDOPICHARDO Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 9:47 AM

Getting a boat from Cuba to DR? No dice, unless you get in contact with a local who owns a pretty good boat, willing to give you a ride for a fee or course, but I never came across anything resembling this kind of thing while i Cuba, but everything is possible when you have the money! Arturo

by sundancekid Online Now Jun 17, 2003 at 12:38 AM

And there is also nothing like ferries that cruise between cuba and Jamaica or Cuba an DR?? What is the best way then to leave Cuba for one of the other Carribic islands??

• cuba to jamaica

by closetmonster Online Now Jul 21, 2007 at 6:49 AM

looking at going between cuba and jamaica on an upcoming trip and having trouble finding flights. would anyone know how i might do it? if anyone knows of any airlines, or even boats between the two please let me know!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santiago de Cuba