Santiago de Compostela Travel Answers

change location
freespiritwendy's Profile Photo

things to take

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM

hi, what is a MUSt to take with me? Where do hikers normally stay? can I get food and toilet facilities along the way?
Ta!

Quote & Answer
28 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: things to take

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM

How long are you going for, are you doing it all in one go ? Difficult to answer without knowing all that. It is recommended that as a woman you should not exceed 10/15% of your body weight in a backpack. Where are you starting from ? France ?? I am doing part of it in May from Le Puy. A lot of pilgrims don't bother to book when they are going solo. On this part of the route that I have looked at there are gites, hotels, b+b's, maximum distance between two stopping places is 19 kms. Send me a VT message and I'll let you know roughly what I am taking for 12 days.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:21 AM

There are many many books and websites which will give you all the info you need to know about walking the Camino. Just Google up Santiago de Compostela and you will be overwhelmed by the mountains of info to be had. Here on VT I would heartily recommend the Camino pages written by globetrott (Michael) He has travelled the Camino by foot and motorised transport and has written some wonderful tales of his travels there. Please do not think that you can just turn up and walk the Camino without doing your homework thoroughly. Read as much as you can. Soak it all up, you will be glad you did.

If you are properly prepared, you are going to have the experience of a lifetime. I envy you and only wish that I had done it when I was young enough and fit enough to do so. I did it by car back in 2002 but as much as I enjoyed it, I was all the time wishing that I was walking with the pilgrims. Good luck and enjoy!

• elpariente's Profile Photo

by elpariente Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Take as less things as you can, you do not need many things
    You can get anything in the Camino
    You find Albergues in all the Camino , they are basic and you pay very little , you can not make reservations
    As an alternative you have hotels, hostels where you pay a bit more , but you are more comfortable
    One recommendation to avoid blisters on your feet .
    Before putting your socks in the morning put some "vaseline" on them
    Buen viaje !!!

• Ribeirasacra's Profile Photo

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I am going to suggest you do something radical. Read another forum!!!!

Please go to http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board and read through tthe 1000s of postings about all of the Camino routes. There you willl find all of  the information you are looking for.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Where are you starting? How much of the route are you hiking? As above, take as little as possible. We met many pilgrims last spring when we were in the area. Some had rented donkeys to help with their packs. They all were wearing their scallop shells. All the towns where we saw pilgrims had special lodgings for them and they did not need to be booked ahead. You will not be lonely. ;^)

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

2 members found this helpful

• hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

freespiritwendy wrote:
    hi, what is a MUSt to take with me? Where do hikers normally stay? can I get food and toilet facilities along the way? Ta!

Hi...walked on the Camino..Porto to Santiago de Compostela 2010...I agree you must visit the official Camino site, the forums offer excellent advice. My recomendation is please look after your feet! Wear well worn in footwear,make sure your socks don't slip down and cause friction to your feet.Take blister kit...My friend plus many others we met and saw suffered with bad blisters. I used Vasoline each morning rubbed well into my feet prior to walking...IMO this definitly helped with my feet. I was fortunate and did not develope blisters. We walked in July,was hot,stayed mainly in Alburges,all clean,comfortable.Public transport was never that far away if things got too much. Passed through many small villages with cafe for coffee and toilet and fill up water bottles. Drank water from designated fountains in towns as well...no health issues with water.The experience of this walk.will always be something I never forget.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Beausoleil wrote:
    Where are you starting? How much of the route are you hiking? As above, take as little as possible. We met many pilgrims last spring when we were in the area. Some had rented donkeys to help with their packs. They all were wearing their scallop shells. All the towns where we saw pilgrims had special lodgings for them and they did not need to be booked ahead. You will not be lonely. ;^)

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Don't know if you have noticed Sally , but the naughty "thumbs-down" rater is out and about again on this thread

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM

But they are being watched . . . ;^)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• freespiritwendy's Profile Photo

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Thank you everybody! It certainly was helpful and I like all the advice and appreciate it. I am hoping to make lasting friendships on this trip too! I will be going in September 2013.

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I will go in September and we will start south of france. Details I must still get. I don't intend taking much. Thank you so much for the advice! I love you guys!

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM

If you are leaving from Le Puy, I'll be able to give you some hints on places to stay, as I am going in May.

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:50 AM

yes. please.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Are you on your own or with a group or just two of you ?

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM

For now we will be a group of fellow South Africans. What are you going to take with you Paul? Have you done it before? I love walking, so I would like to know if there are other walks similiar to this one?

Wendy

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

There are marvelous hiking paths all over France. http://www.gr-infos.com/

There is also a great bike path being developed along the Loire if you like bicycling. http://www.loireavelo.fr/

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I've sent her a packet of info by PM yesterday Sally, with all the necessary on the FFRP, the governing body of trails in France and the 50000 (fifty thousand) kms of waymarked trails. To add to your bike trail tip, pretty soon you'll be able to ride on towpaths and trails from St. Malo to the Atlantic on the S-W coast.

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Good for you Paul. That should be a big help to her. The French hiking trails are wonderful; wish we had such an extensive network here.l

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Thank you Sally! Hm, perhaps I can do a trail on horseback instead of a bicycle.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

The Compostelle trails will allow you to do it on a donkey, just need to work out your stopping places with our four legged friends (not dogs). Close to Le Puy en Velay you can actually rent a donkey for the trip.

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

You can rent donkeys in Conques too. I suspect there are a few places along the various routes. Paul, can you take horses on the GR trails? Somehow that would surprise me.

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Yes, horses, donkeys and other animals on two legs. Obviously though, according to my topo-guide for the Le Puy route, there are a couple of sections that are very steep and not suitable for horses and you have to go round. Also some farmers although allowing pedestrian traffic will not allow horses either. But there are plenty of ways round on this route and there are plenty of places to stay with a horse. Donkeys are different in the sense that normally they are for carrying your gear, not for riding.

• elpariente's Profile Photo

by elpariente Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:41 AM

If you understand Spanish , here is an article that appeared today in the news paper
    abc.es/viajar/destinos/20130...

Buen viaje

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Gracias Juan

• Ribeirasacra's Profile Photo

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM

if you want details about using a horse maybe this will be of help.
    caminodesantiago.me/board/al...

by freespiritwendy Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Thank you! I got such a lot of information. And I am watching the movie "The Way" to get a good idea of what I can see along the way. It is so cool!

by freespiritwendy Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Nah, not a donkey. BTW, do I put vaseline between my toes and heels and all over? Very thick.?

by freespiritwendy Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM

I do like cycling. Who knows, if I find like minded ppl, I might try it with them>

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Vaseline goes all over and is rubbed in, doesn't have to be thick at all or it defeats the object.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santiago de Compostela