Santiago de Compostela Travel Answers

change location
artonice's Profile Photo

From Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon

by artonice Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Is it suitable/legal for foreigners to rent a car from Santiago , ride to Lisbon and return in a week?How much do you think it will cost?(hiring the car and apprx. gas) Thanks in advance. Eylem

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

Re: From Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon

by johnincornwall Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Well the first example I came across was Hispacar (which we use) who will do you a Ford Ka for 97 euros less intro discount. To drive into Portugal though will cost you 12 euros per day IE another 84 euros, but shop around. According to the RAC the drive will take you almost exactly 5 hours - not too taxing. Fuel? Work it out. I hear the auto tolls in Portugal have become a problem though, but not too sure on that. Not possible to start from Porto I suppose?

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • artonice's Profile Photo

by artonice Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Thanks.We have a return flight from Santiago.We want to see the places between santiago and lisbon in a week.Stop in Porto and may be some other towns.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM

It is doable certainly and clearly not illegal. Be aware too that petrol prices in Portugal are way much higher than in Spain.

2 members found this helpful

• risse73's Profile Photo

by risse73 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yes, definitely suitable and legal! This is going to be a pretty scenic adventure, but I did this trip by bus (the bus depot is centrally located in Compostela) rather than by car. With a car, you'll have to worry about the daily rental and gas, plus the tolls and parking fees (if applicable).

Good Luck & Enjoy Your Trip!

1 member found this helpful

by artonice Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Thanks for your advice.Bus is the first choice may be but it took 10 hours I guess.We have only one week and want to see much more in lisbon and other towns:( Thus, by car is more responsibility

by artonice Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Thanks.any idea of the costs??

by risse73 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Oh, I see your point. Yes, the bus restricts you that way - it's slower and it gives you less freedom to pursue travel interests within a specified route. By the way, I did not go directly to Lisbon from Compostela. I first made a stop in Porto and spent a couple of days there, then I proceeded to Fatima and spent a day there, and I went to Lisbon thereafter.

by risse73 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh, I see your point. Yes, the bus restricts you that way - it's slower and it gives you less freedom to pursue travel interests within a specified route. By the way, I did not go directly to Lisbon from Compostela. I first made a stop in Porto and spent a couple of days there, then I proceeded to Fatima and spent a day there, and I went to Lisbon thereafter.

by risse73 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Unfortunately, there's more responsibility with a car rental. :( I don't know what the breakdown of the costs would be for a car rental, but the bus should not be that much. ALSA covers this route, and it appears that going directly to Lisbon is about 9 to 11 hours by bus. The cost is between 45 to 50 Euros one way per person OR 80 to 84 Euros round trip. If you break this trip apart, the one way cost per person from Compostela to Porto is 30 Euros and it takes about 4 hours or so. Once in Porto, you'll have bus options. The Rede Expressos bus line from Porto to Fatima via Batalha leaves every hour from 6:00 to 18:00 and should be around 2 hours and about 17 Euros per one way ticket. From Fatima to Lisbon, it should be around 11.50 Euros per one way ticket.

Here are the bus links:
    http://www.alsa.es/en
    rede-expressos.pt/default.as...
    algarvebus.info/rede-express...">algarvebus.info/rede-express...

Note: I've selected the dates of March 15th to March 22nd as an example.

Enjoy Your Trip to Beautiful Spain & Portugal!

by artonice Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 3:42 AM

thank you so much.what a brief information.we are planing to stop in Porto and saty one night may be,then to lisbon.for returning may be we can stop in aveiro or viana do castello.We'll see:) thanks again giving a brief information.

• Ribeirasacra's Profile Photo

by Ribeirasacra Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM

artonice wrote:

Is it suitable/legal for foreigners to rent a car from Santiago , ride to Lisbon and return in a week?How much do you think it will cost?(hiring the car and apprx. gas) Thanks in advance. Eylem

Some links to help you plan this:

Car rental portals:        www.autoeurope.com/     or      http://bit.ly/carrnt

Route planner: http://www.viamichelin.com/

More about teh tolls in Portugal: http://bit.ly/tollroads

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM

artonice wrote:

thank you so much.what a brief information.we are planing to stop in Porto and saty one night may be,then to lisbon.for returning may be we can stop in aveiro or viana do castello.We'll see:) thanks again giving a brief information.

A charming little town Viana do Costelo is...a full day here will bring you good rewards, one of my favorite places in Portugal.   Wonderful eating town. From here it's a quick drive into Lisbon if you're driving especially;  otherwise, the train from here  also has a pretty regular schedule.

• MarkA139's Profile Photo

by MarkA139 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:57 AM

In northern Portugal I would recommend a meal in the coastal resort of Apulia the beachside restaurant A Cabana is the best one in the area fresh but incredibly cheap seafood etc,jugs of inexpensive vinho verde, a fantastic experience. In the south of Galicia try stopping on the coast at Baiona and to the south go to La Guardia to see Monte Santa Tecla a Celtic hill settlement, have a great holiday!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Santiago de Compostela