Santiago Travel Answers

change location

Cerro San Cristobal

by lconnelly Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have read on another site the funicular is not working. Also will there be any catholic masses here for Easter?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Cerro San Cristobal

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I guess you know the website for the Santuario Inmaculada Concepcion is santuariocerrosancristobal.c...

The website is only in Spanish - can you read it?

It says that there is Mass there every Sunday, at 10:30 and at 12 noon (santuariocerrosancristobal.c....

There aren't any notices about Easter here (the last notice here is for Ash Wednesday).

I did see the City's park system website say that
    "Fiestas especiales

Celebración de semana santa: retiros de semana santa, viernes santo y sábado santo, realizados por nuestro rector. P. Rodrigo Tupper Altamirano, o P. Cristian Precht.
    Misa de Pascua de Resurrección, Sábado 20:00hrs." (parquemet.cl/index.php?cat_i...
    "Special Feast Days
    Celebration of Holy Week: Holy Week retreats (on) Good Friday and Holy Saturday, directed by our rector, Father P. Rodrigo Tupper Altamirano. Easter Mass of the Resurrection on Saturday at 8:00 p.m."

It bothers me a little that the official sanctuary website doesn't list this Holy Saturday Mass, so you may want to contact the Sanctuary using their contact page at santuariocerrosancristobal.c...

Bill

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The Funicular is only one way to reach Cerro San Cristobal from downtown Santiago. Three years ago, and I don't think this has changed, you could also take Metro Baquedano on the red and green lines for the shortest way up, or else Pedro de Valdivia on the red line to the other entrance to the park. You could also take a taxi which at the time would cost you around 800-900 CLD which translates to about $ 2 US. A taxi at the time from just below the park was less expensive than taking the funicular. The walk down the hill is very pretty. So whether it is working or not there are alternative ways of getting there.

One of the more interesting Easter things to do around is to attend the Saturday night Easter Vigil at Cerro San Cristobal which usually starts around 8 p.m.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Cerro San Cristobal

by lconnelly Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Thank you for the reply's. I'm sure this will be one of the highlights of our trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mdenton's Profile Photo

by mdenton Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I just returned from Chile one week ago. Our hotel desk told us the funicular was not operating. He was wrong! It was operating as of Easter 2013. As a matter of fact, I'm looking at my $1.500 CLP Boleto Tramo receipt as I type this. Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines