Santa Rosa Travel Answers

change location
skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Lavender in Sonoma Valley (also wineries and what to do near Santa Rosa)

by skywalkerbeth Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Next year I will have a lavender overload if I go through with this plan. I have the opp to take a quick (3 night) jaunt to Sonoma (near Santa Clara) for some lavender photo opps. This will be a primer for the lavender I hope to see in France in mid-July (plus I can check out some wineries while I am there too).

Any tips on the local area? I'll basically have 2 days as the third morning will be the drive back to SFO.

Would I be better off staying in San Francisco the night before I fly home or is it same-same? It's a Sunday morning flight so I don't expect traffic jams (naive?)

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Re: Lavender in Sonoma Valley (also wineries and what to do near Santa Rosa)

by skywalkerbeth Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 2:40 PM

oops, I meant Santa Rosa!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Sunday morning there should not be a traffic problem. However, we prefer to fly into Oakland. In Sonoma / Santa Rosa, try J Winery, Kenwood, St. Francis and B.R. Cohn is always fun. Karl

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Funny, I'm just now posting all my winery tips on my Healdsburg Page if you want to check it out. I haven't uploaded all the photos and posted all the tips yet but it was absolutely beautiful up there this past weekend. Healdsburg is about 5-10 minutes north of Santa Rosa. I'll probably have it all done by the end of the week.

• CelticSu's Profile Photo

by CelticSu Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 4:35 PM

If you haven't been to the town of Sonoma, I would suggest a visit to Sonoma Plaza - lots of history, cute shops like Baksheesh & Kaboodle, the Sonoma Cheese Factory, and great restaurants. Nearby wineries include two of the oldest: Buena Vista & Gundlach Bundschu.

The trip from Santa Rosa to SFO is about an hour, barring any traffic problems, so there's no reason you'd have to stay in SF the last night if you didn't want to. I do agree with Roadquill re the Oakland airport - much easier access than SFO!

Have a great trip!

Suzi

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

by trvlrtom Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Wineries - There are so many to choose from, and so many opinions on which ones to go to. I usually say it depends on the kind of experience you are looking for: small and authentic, corporate and opulent, new and trendy, wanna be Tuscany etc...
    With your interest in photography, I will just recommend one we visited a year ago: Lynmar. They have a beautiful outdoor patio and eating area overlooking gardens and vineyards. Very well received wines also.
    www.lynmarwinery.com

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

by skywalkerbeth Online Now Dec 4, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Thank you so much everyone! It looks like such a beautiful area. I will check out your pages for tips, too.

• Re: Lavender in Sonoma Valley (also wineries and what to do near Santa Rosa)

by angiebandy Online Now Dec 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I would make it easy on yourself and stay in San Francisco the night before. It's improbable that anything would cause a traffic jam on a Sunday morning but you seriously never know, and it could cause a lot of stress if there were.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines